chapter 1

Cherry was a little unhappy. She was going to stay out of fourth grade this year and go to a boarding school in London. She had always wanted to visit London, but she didn't like the idea of leaving her friends back home. She was reluctant. Her parents noticed how unhappy she was with some of the poor manners and behavior of the other students and thought she'd be happier with civilized students. She wore the traditional uniform. A golden sun hat with a black ribbon tied around it, a red jacket with white cuffs and golden buttons. Under her shirt was a little black tie, plaid skirt, white knee socks and dress shoes. She already didn't feel like herself. She was on a plane heading there and a teacher would pick her up from there.

"You must be Miss Cherry," the elderly woman told her.

"Yes ma'am." Cherry replied.

"Come with me, we'll be going in my car to the boarding school now." the woman took Cherry out the airport and set her bags in the back seat. She drove and looked at Cherry's glum expression. "Don't be so mopey, dear, I'm sure you'll love our school."

"I just miss my friends." Cherry sighed.

"I understand."

"Why do I always have to move when I just get comfortable?"

"We all need a little change once in a while, don't you think, dear?"

"I guess..." Cherry stared out the window to see the infamous London fog. Cherry smiled slightly at the nearly never-ending darkness and gloominess of London. She never understood why but she always loved the dark and cold, she never cared much for warmth or bright sunshine.

"You're not the only new student if that makes you feel better," the woman spoke up after silence. "We have a girl coming in with her grandmother who used to be a student of ours."

"Nice..." Cherry said softly.

"Maybe you can be chums, her name's Eliza Thornberry."

"Like that nature guy on TV my parents and brother watch?" Cherry turned her head.

"Yes, her father's pretty famous." the woman chuckled. "He's a rather bit nutty, but maybe Miss Thornberry will clash with her father."

Cherry shrugged and continued to look out the window in silence, wondering what life would throw at her at this new school.