chapter 11

The eclipse ended and the elephants were rejoining as Bree and Sloan were on the ground. A couple of officers then came and took them to where they rightfully belong for trying endanger the elephant species. The couple tried to clear their names and convince it was a misunderstanding, but everyone knew that story was full of it. Cherry and Eliza's animal talking powers were rightfully given back to them, then the girls noticed the motorbike with Debbie and an African boy.

"Need a ride?" Debbie offered, then they were all riding back to the Thornberry campsite.

"Ew," the African boy pointed to Eliza and Cherry. "Brat sister and Geeky friend."

"I don't know where he got that." Debbie shrugged and smiled apologetically.

Cherry smiled and ruffled up Donnie's hair. Donnie chattered at her and licked her on the face like a dog.

"Donnie, you're so strange and adorable..." Cherry rubbed her face from the boy's slobber.

"Gabba goo?" Donnie handed Cherry a flower with a goofy smile.

"Aww... How can I say no to a face like that?" Cherry smiled and put the flower behind her ear.

"Debbie, stop!" Eliza alerted. "There's Darwin!"

"Well, I'll be." Cherry added as she followed Eliza with Donnie and Tally.

"Now, I know you think I talk too much, so from now on I'm gonna sit back and quietly observe and..." Darwin spoke.

"Yeah, like that'll ever happen." Eliza chuckled, hugging the chimp.

"Eliza?" Darwin was shocked. "Did you just talk to me?"

"We got our powers back." Cherry explained.

"Mom! Dad!" Eliza cried as she broke out of the hug.

Cherry's eyes went wide and she adjusted her glasses. "You must be Mr. and Mrs. Thornberry..."

"That's us," Marianne smiled, then frowned. "Who are you and where did you come from?"

"Mom, this is my friend from boarding school, her name's Cherry." Eliza put an arm around Cherry.

"Boarding school?" Nigel gasped. "She shouldn't be here!"

"It's okay, sir..." Cherry said, shakily around Nigel. She didn't know why but when she was around him she felt warm all the sudden and her face turned bright pink whenever he spoke to her. "W-We're not in a lot of trouble..."

"Mrs. Fairgood and Sarah Wellington have told me you both would be here." Eliza's grandmother told Cherry.

"Of course..." Cherry adjusted her glasses anxiously and smiled nervously around everyone.

Debbie went to say goodbye to the African boy as Cherry, Darwin and the Thornberry family walked around together with the elephants. Eliza and Cherry were telling everyone about their adventure they had when they should've been in boarding school. Cherry didn't say much, mostly since it was a reunion for the Thornberrys and her family was nowhere to be seen.

"Pretty amazing, huh Dad?" Eliza smiled as she watched the elephants go back home. "The legend was right."

"It was indeed, poppet," Nigel smiled at his daughter. "But I still wonder why they gather during an eclipse?"

"Maybe the elephants feel safe, Mr. Thornberry?" Cherry suggested as she sat beside him, hugging her knees.

"Safe?" Nigel turned to her.

Cherry shrugged.

"Maybe it's because it's the one day everything changes," Eliza thought. "The little moon blocks the powerful sun, so maybe... Maybe they have reason to hope..."