[37] Sunshine

"Hi, I'm Devonne."

I look up to the blonde, my eyes following her as she sits, dropping her bag onto the floor. She has that bright smile on her face and that bubbly light radiating from her, the exact way I remember her from the first day we met.

I take in her crop top, her blue sweater, her tiny shorts. Fuck me. "Yeah, you told me that yesterday. I haven't forgotten."

"Your accent is so cute," Devonne laughs. "Where are you from?"

I won't put her through the beginning coldness again. I'm still surprised as to how she survived it the first time.

"Britain." I allow myself to smile. "My name is Kenzie, by the way."

"So why did you move here from Britain?"

Not this again. I know what I said about agreeing to relearn things we already know, but I don't want to have to repeat stuff about Kayleigh that she knows.

I shrug. "I was running away from my psycotic girlfriend, but she found me. Her name's Kayleigh. You might know her. She goes here as well."

"Oh, I do." Devonne's face lights up. "We have Biology together."

Great. She smiles at the mention of my ex-girlfriend. Do they have some secret dating plan that I don't know of?

"Yeah, cool," I mutter, as I turn towards the front when the teacher walks in, resting my head on my hands.

The rest of English passes in a blur but, as I stuff my books into my bag after, Devonne steps her game up even further.

"Hey, so am I going over today to work on the song we're gonna do for the bazaar?"

"Sounds good." I sling my bag over my shoulder. "What time?"

Devonne laugh. "You know, I still can't get over your accent. It's so cute and British."

My heart warms at her words but, outwardly, I roll my eyes. "Fantastic. And I better get going, so are you coming?"

"Yeah, but I didn't take my car here today, so my sister's gonna come and pick me to go home." Devonne pulls a face. "I guess I'll see you at your house after that."

I'm going to regret this sorely, but.. "We could just take my car back to my house, and then I could get my chauffeur to send you home."

Devonne agrees, and we walk out to our lockers together, which conveniently happen to be on the same side of the school. When I open mine, I find another note resting on top of my books, taking it out and unfolding it in hopes that it might be one from Devonne.

I catch the word 'fat' scrawled on the paper, then quickly crush it in my fist before shoving my books in and slamming the locker door shut. This note was from one of Julian's friends. I would recognize Devonne's handwriting anywhere if it were her.

"What did that note say?" Curiosity burned in Devonne's eyes as we walk towards the front gate.

I chuck the balled up paper into the nearest trashcan. "As someone I barely know, I don't think I should be sharing my personal life with you."

Devonne only smiles wider. "Then I guess we have to change that. Tell me something about yourself."

I'm mesmerized by her gorgeous eyes when I stare into them for one second too many, then quickly break the contact. "I like music."

"Favorite color?"

We've reached the limo. "Black."

"Any siblings?"