Jason Todd - Criminal

Boy, what you do to me is criminal
Baby, when I look in those eyes
I feel like going through the stop lights
Looking at the cops like
"I've got nothing to lose"

♤♡◇♧

No matter how hard you tried, you just couldn't get to sleep.

You'd tried everything; tea, meditation, extra blankets, less blankets, even sleeping pills. Yet nothing worked.

This wasn't the first night that this had happened either - for the past month or so, you'd been having trouble getting to sleep, ever since your attempt to break the infamous 'Poison Ivy' out of Arkham Asylum succeeded.

With the help of the Joker, of course.

To you, this 'Poison Ivy' was best known as Aunt Pam.

Pamela Isley was your legal guardian since the age of ten. After the tragic demise of your parents five years ago, you moved in with Pam and had never truly grasped her botanist's love of nature until you stepped foot into her appartment. There were plants literally everyewhere. It took a while to get used to, but it eventually led to you developing green fingers of your own.

So much so that you used to volunteer in the university's own botanical garden, where Pam was studying at the time.

Everything had just started to turn around for the two of you after the death of your parents, until Dr. Jason Woodrue stepped into the frame.

Pamela was smitten by day one. Woodrue was a smart, young, and handsome new professor with enough charisma for the whole of Gotham. But he was also a cruel, sadistic madman who seduced your Aunt Pam and injected her with various poisons and toxins that gave her magnificent power.

You happened upon the scene completely by accident, merely wondering whether Pam had a band-aid for a cut that you got from some nasty thorns in the garden.

That decision changed your life forever.

Because of that mindless decision, you wandered in to find your aunt cowering in the corner wearing the remnants of her lab coat, covered head to toe with her own blood, surrounded by metre-long spears of poison ivy protruding impossibly from the ground.

Dr. Woodrue was nowhere to be found, and remained that way for years.

The Gotham City Police Department arrived hours after the incident, and had to pry you from your aunt's unresponsive, comatose corpse before you even acknowledged their presence.

The judge declared you guilty, no matter how hard you tried to argue your case, and against Dr. Woodrue. You didn't know why they refused to budge at the time, but as you grew older in Arkham Asylum you learnt that corruption spread through the system like the plague. It would have been all too easy for Woodrue to escape the so-called "law".

The two of you were then immediately shipped off to Arkham Asylum, - during which time you were never permitted to see your aunt - where you were kept in intensive therapy and psych ward until you were old (and apparently sane) enough to be re-integrated into society.

By the time you returned to Pam's former appartment, there was no living thing to be found. Every plant that the two of you had tended to together with love and care was far past the point of salvaging: instead of a refreshing breeze and aura of green when you waltzed past the threshold, everything was grey, bleak and musty. The scent of death and decay was inescapable.

However, out of the carpet of death grew life.

By some miracle, while you were thinking about the flowers that you placed on your parents' graves all those years ago, one of them sprouted between the floorboards, its petals as black as night and just as comforting. You watched through tears in amazement as every single rotted leaf, petal and succulent in the appartment suddenly sprung to life.