☓☓ chapter fourteen ☓☓

[Picture of a quote I found on Tumblr at the side. *I do not own the picture*]

☓☓ chapter fourteen ☓☓

I stared at her in anticipation - feeling both excited and nervous at the same time.

A bigger part of me is hoping that she'll say yes, whereas the smaller part of me isn't so confident.

After a few moments of awkward silence, a pained look crossed her face, before she opened her mouth.

Oh dear lord. A pained expression is never a good thing. Ever.

"I'm sorry, Asher." She muttered and shook her head slightly, biting her lips afterwards.

With that, she gathered her belongings and mumbled a 'please excuse me' before hurrying away.

It took me a while to register what've just happened.

After all, like I've said, life is full of the unexpected. This is one good example.

When I'm over with my dumbfounded expression, I gazed up and Am was gone as well. I'm quite sure she said something about going to see if Sky's alright, but I can't be too sure.

Am's disappearance is the least of my worries now. I sound mean, but she's eighteen. So she can take care of herself.

I turned my head to the direction she walked away from, and there was no sight of her around.

No surprise there.

From the corner of my vision, I could see Emma still gaping like a fish, and the boys frowning sympathetically at me.

That was when everything begin to sink in.

And reality hit me hard in the face.

She said no.

I was too hurt to ask why.

I wanted to chase her, and stop her from leaving.

But what's the point of that? There's no way I can make her stay.

So I let her go.

Just like that, I lost the girl I was dreaming for so long.

***

☓☓ Skylett's POV ☓☓

Should I say yes?

No, definitely not.

Even though I admit that I have feelings for him, I can't be so selfish as to agree to be his girlfriend.

Or should I say no?

No, definitely not that too.

It would be too bitchy of me on my part, and too humiliating for Ash if I flat out reject him.

Maybe?

No. That's the worst answer ever in history; Lifting someone's hope high up in the sky, when you already have a decision in mind - which is most probably the complete opposite of what they're expecting.

My heart's itching at me to say yes, but my wiser mind tells me otherwise.

"I am sorry, Asher." I managed to choke out in the end.

Not the best answer, I know. But if you were stuck in the same situation as me, I bet you can't think properly too.

Tears welled up in my eyes after those painful words left my mouth.

Those four words alone carry so much emotion and deeper meaning.

I have to constantly remind myself that what I'm doing is right, and this is for the best.

For the both of us.

Even through my glassy eyes, I could undoubtedly still see the hurt and shocked expression on his face, and horrified ones from the others.

Not able to take this any longer, I hurriedly packed my bag and muttered a 'please excuse me' and scurried off, before anyone can hold me back.

That wasn't effective though, because the next second, Amery's falling in step next to me.

I opened to my mouth to reject, but she shook her head and beat me to it.

"No, it's okay. You don't have to say anything. Yet. I'll understand for now. Just let me drive you home, okay?" She asked softly.

I meekly nodded my head weakly, yet at the same time, appreciatively at her.

In times like this, I'm really grateful to God for putting someone so nice into my shitty life.

***

Throughout the entire ride home, it was silent.

A peaceful type of silent that I am thankful for.

All that's going through my mind to erase the guilty feeling in my heart is I'm sorry, Asher. This is for the best. You will understand it one day.

I'm really, really sorry.

By the time I get home, my parents are out, most probably for dinner. They've already celebrated my birthday yesterday, and today, they said, is strictly reserved for my friends.

Look where that has gotten.

I dragged myself up the stairs and headed straight for my room, wanting nothing more than to collapse on my bed and retire for the night.

However, right after I twist the doorknob and the door crack open, I am flooded by balloons of different colors.

The sight in front of me is definitely not one that I've been expecting.

I closed the door behind me with my foot, and walked forward to take a closer look at the helium balloons.

I bent down next to my bed and examined the pictures attached to the strings on the balloons.

When my eyes landed on the ones Ash and I took together, tears flooded my eyes automatically.

All the pain and pent up emotions that I've been trying so hard to conceal came gushing out of my body through my loud sobs and tears.

Guilt hit me ten times harder, and the horrible heart wrenching feeling came back at full force.

I'm sorry, Asher.

You deserve someone so much better than me.

Someone who would be able to spend the rest of their live with you; someone who can lead a normal life and grow old with you.

And I know fully well that person isn't me.