Rhodey.

The avengers had just gotten there, hearing what'd happened. Not being able to hold back the tears, he cried against Rhodey's chest. The man didn't mind. He just held onto Peter tightly, doing his best to comfort him.

He didn't remember being guided to the quinjet. He didn't remember walking into the avengers compound without Tony.

He just realized he was sitting on the couch in the living room. The place they'd have movie nights. The place Peter would fall asleep because he stayed up too late the night before studying.

Hot tears began streaking down his cheeks as he hugged his legs to his chest.

Uncle Ben died from the same thing. Surely Tony would. That guy wanted Peter and he had jumped in front of him. The bullet was meant for Peter. He would have survived. He's dealt with a bullet wound before!

"Hey Pete?" Peter buried his head further into his knees at the sound of Steve's voice. He'd cried in front of everyone. Some superhero he was. He couldn't even save his mentor.

(Pete you spelled dad wrong-)

"Peter?" "...What?" "Tony's awake." Immediately, Peter's head snapped up, eyes still wet.

"He's ok?"

"Yes. And he wants to see you. We had him brought to medbay when he was stable." "...Is he... mad at me?" "What? Pete why would he be mad at you?" "He- the guy- he pointed that gun at me- he wanted me! Tony pushed me out of the way I-"

"Peter, listen to me. I've known Tony for years and I've never seen him care for someone as much as he cares about you." The boy looked away. "I mean... he cares about you guys. And Pep and Rhodey have to count."

Steve laughed. "Kid he think's we're all stupid! Yeah he does care for Pep and Rhodey but I'd say you're different." "...Thanks." "So, are you going to see him?" "Oh! Yeah- yeah. Thanks Mr. Rogers!" Peter exclaimed and he ran off to see Tony.

He paused at the door for a moment.

Did Tony really want to see him after that?

This wouldn't have happened if Peter just webbed him. He could've thought faster! It was his fault!

"Kid?"

Tony's voice came from the other side of the door. Friday probably alerted him he was at the door. Peter slowly opened it, probably looking pathetic.

"...Hi..." "Well don't you look happy to see me," he quipped. Tony's eyes then furrowed. "Are you ok kiddo?" "I- what?" "Are you ok? Nothing bruised, broken...? I pushed you kinda hard back there. You haven't gotten checked for any injuries since the mission have you?" "Wha- how are you asking me that I-I- you got shot and that bullet was supposed to hit me-" Tony reached out for his kid. "Peter-" he jerked his hand away. "You could've died and It- It was just like Uncle Ben! I screwed up again and I told myself I wouldn't!"

Peter inhaled sharply, trying to hold his tears back.

"Peter... You didn't screw up. There was absolutely nothing you did wrong. You've been doing so great kid." "It was just like last time," he hiccuped. Peter squeezed his eyes shut as memories flooded his mind.

"The bullet was going for me and- and Ben jumped in front of me and I could've saved him I- I had my spider powers just like earlier and I froze up again! I messed up! That night I said I'd never freeze up again and I still did! I-I let you and Ben down..."

"Pete. I want you to listen to me," Tony began, his eyes full of sympathy and determination. "You could never let me down. And I'm 100% sure Ben doesn't feel let down either. What you've done since then is- Sorry Cap but- fucking remarkable. I know I can't force you to stop blaming yourself for this as much as I'd love to, but anything I can do to help you, I'd do it in a heartbeat kid. Therapy, a movie, just a hug- whatever. I know you and I know you're upset I pushed you out of the way instead of letting it happen but I think I just explained myself there Pete."

"...Thanks Mr. Stark." "Na ah kiddo. I may be a little high still but I vaguely remember you calling me Tony." "I- Sure... Oh yeah the- uh- donut guy, apparently his name was Mr. Murphy, he still gave us the donuts. And more. I guess he kinda felt bad for me..." Peter said, scratching the back of his neck. "Well who can say no to free donuts?" For the first time in what felt like decades, Peter smiled. Tony was... ok. He was fine, he was alive. "One sec," he said, going to grab one of the boxes of donuts.

"Wait kid," Tony said, his voice shaking with the laughter he was trying to hold back.

"Donut leave me."

He then laughed at his own joke. Peter smirked. "Yeah, I think you're still high." "Wha- hey! I don't think I'd be able to make a speech like that off the top of my head if I was! And that was a great joke!" "It was a dad joke, that's what it was." "Does that mean it was good," he asked, oblivious.

"I-... Yeah. It's a great joke."

And so, Peter left the room to grab the many boxes of donuts he was given.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words: 1965

What's an Irondad one shot book without Tony getting hurt and Peter blaming himself? I don't think I've seen many without it lmao

Also, Tony making dad jokes without knowing what they are is amazing-

So when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with this I thought "Meh it's too cliche for them to go to get ice cream. They always do that" and I also wanted Tony to make a dad joke sooo

DONUTS

Welp have a great day/afternoon/ night :)

<3000 :D