Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Lyv couldn't help but feel guilty for allowing Jai to take on some of her darkness, especially when she was lying beside him, wrapped up in his arms as he slept peacefully beside her. Just from the calmness in his mind and body, the steady breathing and calm contentment, he seemed at ease with it all. She didn't seem to need to worry about him, though. After the way he quickly controlled his shadows the night before, she knew he would be able to handle it.

And then there was Elys, who was snuggled up against her back. She was going to have to talk with Michel as soon as they returned to Ayveri. What in the world was he thinking in allowing Elys to train in time manipulation so young? What would have happened if something had gone wrong? He couldn't even get a proper handle on his visions, so why push him that far? Of course, Elys needed to know all he could do. Maybe it was just because Lyv was starting to see him as the not so little boy anymore. He was growing up, one thing she didn't have control over. Could she ask him to freeze time around him so he would stay little forever?

Lyv noticed the change in both of those males when they were all finally up a few hours later and getting everything packed. Jai was talking with Gideon, who was still watching his every move and probably expecting his eyes to turn onyx at some point, while Elys packed up his bag, chattering happily to Thia. Kalla, Allel, and Mik were watching, too, and had been keeping quiet that morning.

They were just...themselves. Like absolutely nothing had changed from the morning before. But Lyv could still sense the darkness within Jai, feel the slight change in the ebb and flow of time around Elys.

As Lyv watched, Thia smiled at Elys just as he was about to run to Jai and Gideon and kissed him on top of the head, then made her way to Lyv.

"I know everyone, including you, is more worried about what changes we might be seeing in Jai after...after what you two did, but you need someone to worry about you, too," she told her as she came up to her side. She looked her over as she took a bite of her toast and jam, tucking a strand of her dark hair behind her ear.

"I'm fine," Lyv told her, picking up the second slice of toast off Thia's plate to take a bite. "I...haven't felt more like myself in a long, long time. And Jai helped me with that. Don't you see? Even though I didn't want him to do it, taking this on helped me so much, even though it's put him in danger, too."

"And Elys..." Thia began, looking back at the boy. "None of us other than the three of you know what the hell happened when his Seer magic all but exploded."

"He's apparently been working with Michel without mine or Jai's consent. I have a feeling another sort of manipulation was done for that to happen."

"Time manipulation. Mother and gods above."

"I know," was all Lyv said.

Thia heaved a sigh, absentmindedly running her fingers through her dark hair. "A lot has changed since those first few months we knew each other in Ayveri."

"You can say that again. Everything was definitely simpler."

"And now look at us all."

All Lyv could do was nod.

"There's something else, though, and I'm only going to tell you because I have a feeling he won't."

Lyv remained quiet, eyeing her with worry.

"After everything last night," Thia began before pausing to search Lyv's face. "After what we saw and didn't see, Gideon...he's absolutely terrified. I had to coax it out of him when we were finally alone and he just...broke down."