Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Just by hearing the laughter dancing along the wind that whipped around them, Jai knew this trip was so needed. Mostly, that laughter came from Elys and Eamon, who were clutching onto the saddle and each other so they didn't fall off Allel's back. She was in her silver dragon form and slightly bigger than she normally was, mostly because she was the only one carrying three people – the boys and Mik. She was showing off, too, doing flips and barrel rolls, shooting up into the clouds before sharply dropping down. Lyv yelled more than several times for her to be careful, but Allel just rolled her eyes and Mik waved a dismissive hand. That's what had Jai laughing.

"I think I'm starting to like Mik. Just think – me, him, and Gideon all annoying the life out of you for the next couple centuries and getting Elys and Eamon to go along with it," Jai grinned, even though she couldn't see it.

"If you make it that long and I don't end up killing you myself for annoying me," Lyv growled and blindly reached back to swat at his head.

He chuckled again, kissing the side of her neck. "They're fine," he said in her ear as the dragon Allel and the boys plummeted from the clouds to their right. "And if you can't tell like I can, Mik's watching out for them. I think they've all grown on each other since Elys and Eamon insisted on riding with them."

It was true. Even though the older males were still eyeing Mik with suspicion in their narrowed gazes, Elys and Eamon went up to Mik and Allel right before they left and started talking with them. Jai tried not to read too much into the looks Mik and Allel gave each other, but he had a sneaking suspicion Elys had something to do with it.

"Allel's about to give me a heart attack," Lyv complained to him then, threading her fingers through his as she pressed their hands to her stomach. "I'm separating them all on the flight back to Ayveri."

"You know Roshan and Erly would do the same if the boys asked them to. Then the rest of us would get to enjoy the ride."

Lyv grumbled and pinched his arm, making him chuckle as he kissed her neck again.

They had plans of being in Asturia for about two weeks. Jai tried to shorten it to just a few days, but both Lyv and his mother insisted.

"You're all in need of a break, so take it," his mother told him the night before at dinner. "And if I see you all in Ayveri before those planned two weeks are up, I'm sending you back."

Jai highly doubted Bridget, Alberich, Jules, and Drue would even let that happen. They hated having to go back to Asturia a few weeks before, especially with them worried about Lyv and everyone else, but they had their own people to tend to as well. Lyv all but pushed them onto the ship when they were saying their goodbyes, promising to come up in a few weeks. Bridget was going to make her daughter keep that promise and a lot sooner than Jai would have thought. He wasn't going to stop either of them. He didn't want the mother and daughter mad at him. Both he and Alberich knew that wouldn't have been the wisest of decisions.

Since they were taking their time and regularly resting along the way, they reached the Asturian stronghold city right as the sun was beginning its slow descent over the water to the west. They flew lower and lower over the buildings, watching as all of the people stared up and started smiling and watching their approach. Lyv waved at all of those she knew, shouting down greetings that were wholeheartedly returned.

The commotion in the streets drew everyone from the palace as they circled overhead before landing in the courtyard. As soon as Roshan was steady on his feet beneath them, Lyv took no time to jump off and run to her parents, who were ready and waiting with open arms. Gideon was the next on his feet as he helped Thia and Mik helped Elys and Eamon, though both boys were already trying to talk Allel into another flight the following day as she shifted back into her human form and they dragged her toward the palace.