Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The toes of Lyv's boots lined up perfectly with the edge of the dock. She stood and watched three Blackloch ships slowly ease into the harbor, flags flying high, the black sails slowly being raised by those aboard, all of whom looked tired and worn-down but somehow were smiling. Obviously, they hadn't come from the shores of Escarral...but where from then?

Lyv and everyone else had been back in Ayveri for only two days. Those two days dragged for her like no other. She tried to find something and everything to do, even resorted to cleaning out her and Jai's magically expanded closet of clothes she knew she wouldn't wear again. Jai didn't help in the slightest, but rather lounged on the bed and watched as she threw everything she didn't want anymore over her head and onto the floor. He forbade her to even touch his side, though there were a few questionable items hidden in the dark depths of the back corner.

Another thing she did was completely relocate both Posy and Jett's bookshelf rooms to their own pixie-sized home in the palace gardens. With the two of them growing closer by the day, they never wanted to be apart, even stayed behind in Ayveri when they'd all gone up to Asturia. So, with Elys and Eamon, they helped Posy and Jett pick out their new home in the pixie shop, along with all of the necessities that went inside. Lyv hated the thought of them being in a completely different section of the palace yet couldn't help but adored that the pixies had completely fallen in love with each other.

Now, as she stood and watched the Blackloch ships come closer and closer at their slowing pace, someone stepped up quietly beside her and reached up to grasp her hand.

"I don't like that I couldn't see anything with Kalla or where she went," Elys told her as soon as his mismatched blue eyes met hers. "I think I know who she went to see. At least, my vision from this morning showed me a few answers. Not much, though. Once Kalla, Allel, and Mik are able to break that promise bound by magic...well, I know I'm going to get a flood of visions showing me what they all know. At least I hope that will be the case. I hate being cut off from that part of history."

Her eyes immediately dropped to the little Seer at her side. "Why haven't you said anything before?"

"Because I don't know. Well, I know who she went to see, but not where. It's hard to explain. And I won't tell you anything if I don't know for certain."

Her stomach twisted into a nervous knot. "Then who did she go see? You're at least certain of that, aren't you?"

All she was met with was silence as Elys looked back over the water to the ships. Finally, he spoke. "Kalla will tell you about her in a little bit...but she's going to become one of my best friends. Dessa's, too. All of ours, really. And she's actually your...well, I can't tell you that just yet either. You know about her and yet don't know you know. It was just a passing sentence in a text..."

"When did you see this again?"

"Yesterday whenever Kalla came back into our world. Like I said, I couldn't see anything until then. It's like me having to look for you in other's futures since the darkness blocks yours out. Jai's is that way, too, after a point. Kalla's thoughts have been guarded up until yesterday when she came back...because she got permission from her to tell us about her world."

Lyv's head was spinning as she knelt down and turned him to face her. "Hold on a minute. What do you mean, her world?"

But Elys just gave her a knowing smile and stayed silent.

"You really know how to hold the suspense, don't you, kid?"

"Yep!"

Lyv heaved out a sigh, knowing no matter what she said or did, she wouldn't get an answer from Elys until Kalla gave them herself.