Twenty Eight

Aria Adkins

The first thing I wake up to when I open my eyes is Austin's broad back. And I have to say, it's not a bad sight. He sits hunched over, his head dipped low and his elbows on his knees as he quietly converses on his phone.

I blink a few times, trying to clear the filminess from my dry eyes as I listen to his raspy voice. I still when I hear him ask, "Has he been to the infirmary?"

I'm unable to hear whatever the person on the other line says, but I get a pretty good understanding of the topic of conversation when Austin frustratedly asks, "How can you be sure it's even Stage Four if there's no one there to properly give a diagnosis? I know he's in prison but he's still a human being. He deserves treatment."

It's quiet for another moment, and Austin releases a frustrated breath. "Just have his lawyer email me the doctor's notes. Yeah. Thanks."

"Fucking bullshit," He mumbles, tossing his phone on my nightstand.

With wide eyes, I sit up and quietly ask, "Is everything okay?" Which is stupid, because obviously it's not, but I think we've established that I'm awful at comforting others.

Austin clears his throat roughly and stands, hastily pulling on the pair of discarded jeans he'd stripped off after crawling in my bed at three o'clock this morning.

"Just stuff with my dad that I have to get straightened out. Gonna see about doing a video-call with his lawyer later, hash out some of the details regarding his early release. Fuck," He sighs.

I sit up on my knees and awkwardly crawl across the mattress towards him. I sit back on my haunches as he distractedly pulls his belt through the loops of his pants.

"I gotta go, but I'll see you tonight, right?" He asks, rubbing a hand through his hair.

I nod, and he leans forward and lays a chaste kiss on my lips. And before I can even blink, he's gone.

I stare at my open bedroom door, stunned at how Austin was here one moment and gone the next. I'm unsure about whether or not I should reach out, unsure about what I'd even say if I did. Sighing, I check my phone for the time and decide to get out of bed and make a late breakfast for Savannah and myself.

After a quick trip to the bathroom I head to the kitchen and start pulling out ingredients and a skillet. Savannah rounds the corner and takes a seat at the kitchen table, looking at me in confusion.

"Is Austin not staying for breakfast today?"

I lower the heat on the stove, watching as a sausage patty sizzles loudly against the metal pan. "He had some personal stuff to take care of."

"He looked like he was in a hurry," She adds, tilting her chair back on two legs.

"Stop that before you bust your head open," I lecture.

Savannah rolls her eyes. "Why is everyone in a mood today?" She mumbles.

"Being an adult sucks the life out of you, I've told you that," I murmur distractedly, flipping the sausage.

"Anyway," Sav says. "Since everyone's being weird today can I spend the night at Anna's? Her mom can pick me up and drop me off."