Chapter Five: Wonkavision Room

We put on the suits and goggles before entering the all-white room. It was rather blinding. There was a giant camera, a small TV, a platform and Oompa Loompa's in the same outfits as us working at consoles.

"Wonkavision: my latest and greatest invention," Willy told us.

"It's television," Mike said.

"Uh, it's Wonkavision. Now I suppose you all know how ordinary television works. You photograph something and--"

"Sure, I do. You photograph something, and then the photograph is split up into millions of tiny pieces, and they go whizzing through the air down to your TV set where they're all put together again in the right order," Mike interrupted.

"You should open your mouth a little wider when you speak. So I said to myself, 'If they can do it with a photograph, why can't I do it with a bar of chocolate?'," some Oompa Loompa's brought in a giant bar of chocolate and put it on the platform, "I shall now send this chocolate bar from one end of the room to the other. It has to be big because whenever you transmit something by television, it always ends up smaller on the other end. Goggles on, please. Lights, camera, action!"

The bar disappeared and we looked over to the TV to see the chocolate bar but it was smaller. Willy told Mike to take it but he wouldn't so Charlie took it and took a bite of it. It was real. Mike asked about sending other things besides chocolate and Willy told him anything. Mike asked about sending people but he wasn't too sure about it. Might have messy results.

That was good enough for Mike apparently and he managed to turn on the machine again and he disappeared. After a long delay, Mike arrived on the screen, tiny. Mike somehow thought all this was cool and asked to do it again. Apparently watching too much TV didn't give him enough logic to know that it might not be a good idea. Mrs Teevee put him in her purse and asked Willy what to do.

"Well, fortunately, small boys are extremely springy and elastic so I think we'll put him in my special taffy-pulling machine. That should do the trick."

While Willy was talking to one of the Oompa Loompa's, Mrs Teevee fainted backwards into my arms.

"And now, my dearest lady, it's time to say goodbye," Mrs Teevee made a noise, "no, no, don't speak. For some moments in life, there are no words. Run along now," the Oompa Loompa's took her off me and dragged her away, "adieu, adieu, parting is such sweet sorrow."

One last Oompa Loompa number:

'Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompeda dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get from a glut of TV
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply reading a book
Or could you just not bear to look
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no commercials

Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're not greedy you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the - Oompa -
Oompa Loompa Doompety do.'

We took off the suits and followed Willy to the outside of his office as he looked over a bunch of letters.

"So much to do, so much to do, invoices and bills, letters... I must answer that note from the Queen."