Chapter One: The little artist

(Y/N)'s POV:

My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I'm the person known as the homeless artist. One night, my parents disappeared when I was sixteen. I've been alone ever since with my artbook and my imagination. I'm twenty-seven now. I met a little boy named Charlie Bucket when I turned twenty. He saw me drawing a father and his daughter outside a candy shop.

Charlie was fascinated by how realistic my drawings were. My father was an amazing artist so I took after him but he was unimpressed when I used too much of my imagination in every piece of art while I saw nothing wrong with it. I've always let my imagination run free and I'm not ashamed of it. Today I was drawing a cat that was sitting next to me when Charlie came up to me, scaring it away.

"No, no, no, no, no! Kitty, come back!" I sighed.

"Sorry (Y/N)," Charlie apologised.

"It's alright. It'll come back," I assured him.

"What have you drawn today?"

I showed him all my drawing of the day. A bird, the cat, the famous candy shop and a mysterious man. Just the other night I saw him in my dream and he helped me. I don't recall his face so he's incomplete.

"Who's that?" Charlie asked.

"A man a saw in my dream. He helped me off the streets but I don't remember what his face looks like."

"Do you think this man exists?"

"I highly doubt he does. I mean, look at this drawing. His dress sense is a little odd for the world. But anyway, I've got a treat for you and your family today. First and foremost," I gave him most of the money I earned today, "and..." I gave him a loaf of bread I saved up for, "look at this!"

Charlie's eyes lit up, "you're giving this to me?"

"It'll be better than that cabbage water you tell me you eat. Here, take it."

"Don't you want anything to eat?"

"Eh, I've eaten enough today. Now you'd better get home now, it's getting late."

Charlie ran home and I watched him disappear into the distance. I hated the fact that I lied to the poor boy. The truth was I hadn't eaten today or even yesterday. I spent all my money on that loaf of bread. I don't regret it. Charlie deserves it more than me. I packed my things in my paperboy bag and settled down for the night only to be woken by people yelling outside the candy store.

I've never seen this many people in my life, especially outside the shop. I went up to someone and asked what was going on. They told me that Willy Wonka sent out five golden tickets hidden in five different chocolate bars and everyone was desperate to get one. All this for a golden ticket? Wonka has been silent for years.

The last time we heard from him was when he opened his factory after about 3 years. Now that's spiked my imagination. What does the chocolatier look like? I can imagine him being... old but cheerful and colourful and childlike with a candy cane as a walking stick. And now I need to draw this vision. I just wish I had some colouring pencils.

(Time skip)

I was drawing the candy man when Charlie came up to me.

"Hello Charlie," I greeted.

"Hi (Y/N). Have you heard about the tickets?" Charlie asked.

"This is a small town Charlie, word spreads like butter on bread."

"They've found the first ticket."

"Who's the lucky person?"

"A fat boy named Augustus Gloop."

"Why am I not surprised?"

Charlie laughed and sat next to me to look at my pictures. He's obsessed with my artistry.

"Who's that?"

"That's what I think Willy Wonka looks like. I'd love to meet the man behind the chocolate."

"Me too. I'd like to win a ticket."

"You have a chance just like everyone else, Charlie. Never give up hope."

The days went by and Charlie continued telling me who got golden tickets. A spoiled girl named Veruca Salt got number two, a gum chewer named Violet Beuaregarde got number three, a TV-obsessed boy named Mike Teevee got number four and a gambling man named Alberto Min-Oleta got the final one.

The worst part about this, I feel like I gave Charlie false hope. I hoped that Charlie could get a ticket but now they're all gone. Speaking of, Charlie just ran past but quickly came back and took my hand. I asked him what was up with him and he told me he found the fifth golden ticket. Wait what?! The fifth was already found. I clearly couldn't ask now. We ran down an alleyway and a man with a scar on the left of his face stepped out in front of us.

"I congratulate you, little boy. Well done. You found the fifth golden ticket. May I introduce myself. Arthur Slugworth, President of Slugworth Chocolate Incorporated. Now listen carefully because I'm going to make you very rich indeed. Mr Wonka is, at this moment, working on a fantastic invention: the Everlasting Gobstopper. If he succeeds, he'll ruin me. So all I want you and your friend to do is get hold of just one Everlasting Gobstopper and bring it to me so that I can find the secret formula. Your reward will be ten thousand of these," he pulled lots of money out of his pocket and flipped through it, "think it over, will you? A new house for your family, and good food and comfort for the rest of their lives. And don't forget the name: Everlasting Gobstopper."

He walked off and we ran to Charlie's house where the first thing I see is a king-sized bed with two old couples, no doubt his grandparents, and his mother.

"Look, everyone, look, I've got it! The fifth golden ticket is mine!" Charlie told everyone waving the ticket in the air.

"You're pulling our legs, Charlie! There aren't any more golden tickets," one of his grandfathers said.

"No, Grandpa, the last one was fake; it said so in the papers. I found some money in the street, and I bought a Wonka Bar, and the ticket was in it."

"Charlie!" His mother said.

"Look at it, Grandpa, see for yourself!"

"Read it, Joe, for heaven's sake!" The woman next to Grandpa Joe said.

Grandpa Joe took the ticket and read it aloud, "'greetings to you, the lucky finder of this Golden Ticket, from Mr Willy Wonka. Present this ticket at the factory gates at ten o'clock in the morning of the first day of October, and do not be late. You may bring with you one member of your own family but no one else. In your wildest dreams, you could not imagine the marvellous surprises that await you!' Charlie, you've done it!"

"I can't believe it!" His mother said still shocked.

"Grandpa? It says I can take someone with me. I wish you could go," Charlie said, "(Y/N)? Will you come with me?"

"Me?" I asked.

"You've done so much for our family, can I do something for you?" Charlie asked.

"Wait, this is the woman who keeps giving us money?" His mother asked.

"I am. You deserve it more than me."

"Please! Come with me to the factory. My treat."

I looked down at myself. I was a mess. I'm dirty, my clothes don't even fit me, they're men's clothing I found, and I just looked awful. That's what I told him and his mother offered to give me something better and I could use their bath. After hearing that, I agreed to Charlie's offer.

(A/N: Not the best first chapter I've ever written but it'll do. See you next chapter)