40. Lovely Burdens.

-

- A Month Later -

"Take it from me, they'll be eating out of Charles' hands." River raises his glass at Sebastian.

They sit before the view of Manhattan on colorful pillows, legs crossed, enjoying a game of chess with wine involved. They'd met many nights like this in the past few weeks. Stealing whatever time they could, to be alone before other responsibilities needed their attention, which was quite frequent.

"He already pitched the proposal to the board. Now he just has to do that with shareholders, investors, everybody involved in the Merit Global operations." Sebastian makes his move, though absentmindedly.

"Wasn't the merge final a couple months ago?" River chances a look in Sebastian's direction.

"You'd think it was. They're pulling back." Sebastian grunts.

"Did you use digital display?"

"Highest tech, but I don't think Charles is hitting it on the head." He admits and River nods, making his move on the chessboard, knocking his king off the board. "Son of a-," Sebastian settles his gaze on River. "That's the fifth game in a row." He whines and River whisper yells, then playfully beats his chest to taunt Sebastian.

"Checkmate!" River repeatedly points at Sebastian, who looks over at him with a smirk.

"You love winning, don't you?" Sebastian shakes his head, but he chuckles nonetheless.

"Against you? Maybe,"

"Watch it, rookie." Sebastian stands, pulling River up from the ground and into his chest.

"Careful. I have wine in me." River warns, but Sebastian captures his lips between his.

He licks his own, then stares down into River's gray pools. "You have wine on you."

"When did you become so corny?" River reaches up to initiate his own kiss.

"Who's to say I wasn't this corny before?" Sebastian pulls away, giving River space he doesn't need to breath. "Also, you just beat your chest like King Kong,"

"That was a valid way to celebrate my fifth win against the formidable, smoldering Sebastian Black." River pulls away then picks up the glasses. "Get the board?"

"I do not smolder." Sebastian complains as River brushes past him to approach the hallway. He then picks up the game, and puts the pieces away to hurriedly saunter into the kitchen. "I don't smolder." He says again and River turns from his sink to glance at Sebastian.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you it was a joke?" River questions.

Sebastian frowns. "Was it?"

"Mhm." River assures him.

"Hmm." Sebastian nods, silently uncertain.

River smiles and turns back to the sink to rinse the glasses. "It's getting late." River then gasps when Sebastian's chest presses against his back and the man's arms come snaking around his waist. "You should-, you should-, oh." Silenced by Sebastian's lips kissing his neck, River stifles a moan.

Without any words, Sebastian's right arm reaches up to River's shoulder to pull his shirt back. Exposing the flesh of his toned shoulder blades. Sebastian kisses it, feeling River shudder beneath him. His right hand lowers, but he stops, silently begging for permission with his kisses.

River grabs Sebastian's hand then gently guides it to the waist of his sweatpants, breaching the part where fabric meets skin, reaching in. Sebastian begins kissing him from the back, their bodies perfectly matched in the silhouette of the warm lights.