Chapter Fifty Five

November 12th, 1983

"Okay, thanks Mr Clarke," Dustin said, "I'll see you Monday

"Okay, thanks Mr Clarke," Dustin said, "I'll see you Monday. See you Monday. Bye," He rambled and hung the phone up. Everyone stared at him, including George who was now back at the table.

"Well?" Lucas prompted impatiently.

"Do you still have that kiddie pool we bobbed for apples in?" Dustin asked unexpectedly and looked straight at Joyce.

"Um, yeah," She said, "I think so."

"Okay," Dustin nodded, "Then all we need is salt. Lots of salt."

"How much is lots?" Hopper asked, getting straight to the point.

"1,500 pounds," Dustin said, having consulted the paper he made notes on.

"Where are we going to get that much salt from?" Nancy asked, frustratedly. Hopper didn't say a word, instead, he stared into the distance with a trace of a smile.

"What is it?" Joyce asked, having noticed Hopper's expression.

"What do they do at school when it snows?"

"They salt the- they salt the sidewalks," Joyce said, smiling as she realised Hopper's plan, "Alright, everybody in the car."

*

They got to school and split up. Hopper and Jonathan went to get enough salt from where they kept in in preparation for when it snowed. Nancy and Mike went to get hoses from the janitor's supply shed. Joyce took El to get everything that she needed for the sensory deprivation tank and Dustin, Lucas and George went to set up the kid's pool in the gym.

"Damn this thing is heavy," Dustin grumbled as he gave up trying to carry the folded up pool and instead dropped it to the floor and began rolling it along into the gym while Lucas and George held open the doors.

When Dustin had rolled the pool into the centre of the gym floor, Lucas and George set about untying the cords that Joyce had tied it up with. Once they were all untied, the pool sprung out like a spring. George had to dart back to avoid being hit in the face.

"How does this work?" Dustin asked, holding up one side of it, only to have the opposite side droop down.

"Just hold it up!" Lucas scoffed and held up the edge closest to him. Dustin held the opposite side up but then the middle two sides fell in. George ran in and held up one side but that still left the one other side drooping down.

"How are we going to do this?" George asked. There were only three of them and four sides that needed holding up.

"Hang, if I go round here," Dustin said, shuffling along whilst still holding onto the pool, "I can hold both sides up," he said, grabbing part of the drooping side but then both sides dropped inwards on the edge he wasn't holding, "Damn it!"