Chapter Fifty One

November 12th, 1983

Nick drove to the edge of the woods where she could desert her car under the cover of the trees where the helicopter can't track her anymore

Nick drove to the edge of the woods where she could desert her car under the cover of the trees where the helicopter can't track her anymore. She knew she was only a little way from the Byers' house and after the revelation she had just had about Will, she thought it was only fair that someone tell Joyce.

Nick knocked on the door harder than she'd meant to but adrenaline was still racing through her veins and she could hardly control her nerves.

"Joyce?" She called when no one answered the door, "You home?"

Nick jumped back slightly when Hopper opened the door.

"Um..." She said, looking at Hopper in confusion, "Is Joyce there?" she asked and tried not to look confused as Joyce pushed her way past Hopper.

"Nick," Joyce said with a sigh, sounding sort of exasperated.

"What's she doing here?" Hopper asked bitterly, pointing to Nick without so much as looking at her. Joyce rolled her eyes.

"What are you doing here?" She asked Nick, sounding a lot kinder but still impatient.

"She can't be here, Joyce," Hopper warned but Joyce wasn't paying him any attention. When he realised this, Hopper finally addressing Nick herself, "You need to leave." he said, pointing a stern finger at Nick that she just ignored and turned back to look at Joyce.

"This is going to sound crazy," she said, trailing off and laughing nervously, "But I think Will's alive."

Hopper froze.

"You'd better come in."

*

Nick wasn't expecting to see Nancy sat on the sofa next to Jonathan when she was finally invited inside. She didn't think that Nancy liked Jonathan, she didn't think Nancy had even looked at him twice but then again she didn't think Will was alive until half an hour ago so she simply shrugged it off. It wasn't important right now. Actually, it wasn't important at all. She didn't really care.

Hopper stood in the corner of the room with his arms folded, staring her down like he was about to interrogate her. And Nick was right. No sooner had she stepping inside, he began bombarding her with questions.

"What exactly do you mean when you said you think Will's alive?" he asked sternly, "And don't leave anything out."

"I thought it was crazy too when George first told me," Nick began, laughing nervously, "It was back at the wake and he kept saying he thought that Will was just trapped in another dimension, like in D&D," She added although thought as soon as she'd said it that no one would have understood D&D anyway, "Anyways, I thought it was just his way of coping with things but I just picked him and the others up and they were with that girl, the one who broke the doors at the store," she added for Hopper's reference, as he would have known being chief of police, "And, now I know this sounds crazy but I swear it's the truth, they were being followed by these men in vans and- I swear on my life I'm not lying-"

"Get to the point," Hopper instructed and Nick nodded.

"She flipped a van right over my car with her mind!"

Joyce and Hopper shared a look. Surely this meant something to her which filled Nick with confidence that she wasn't going crazy.

"Jane," She was sure Joyce mouthed to Hopper.

"What next?" Hopper said, urging Nick to continue with her story.

"Well, I took them to the old junkyard, like they told me too and they said they'd found some sort of gate to the other dimension but they didn't know how to get there and before they figured out a plan or something this helicopter turned up. I don't know if it's true but the boys thought it was the men from before who were trying to track them down so I told them to hide in an old bus while I drove away and the helicopter followed me but I lost it in the trees. And that's it. That brings us up to now," she said looking at Hopper who seemed satisfied that she'd gone into enough detail.

"I know it sounds crazy but it really is true. Will's alive," She added, looking to Joyce who looked like she was on the verge of tears, "I heard his voice, Joyce. That girl, El, she made his voice come through the radio. He's alive."

Joyce beamed as tears fell down her cheeks but she was the only one who seemed to be happy in that moment. Nancy just looked awkward and Jonathan was busy comforting his crying mother. Hopper's expression hadn't changed in the entire time Nick had been there. He was still stood in the corner with his arms folded and looking almost disapprovingly down at her.

"What about the monster?" Hopper asked with little to no expression.

"The what?" Nick asked, frowning and suddenly feeling like she'd left the boys in terrible danger.

"The boys," Joyce began but trailed off to nervously bite her fingernails, "They don't know about the monster?"

"What monster?" Nick asked with that feeling of terror growing in the pit of her stomach, "Joyce, what's going on? Are they safe?"

"No," Hopper said, finally moving. He dropped his arms to his sides and walked to stand closer to Nick, "Where are they? At the junkyard on the edge of town, right?"

"No," Nick said hastily, "We can't go to them, they have helicopters and nearly found them. I lead them away but who knows how much time we have before they find me. It's too risky going back there."

"Then how do we contact them?" Joyce asked, her voice wavering.

"I think I have an idea," Jonathan chimed in with a slight twinkle in his eye.

"I think I have the same idea," Nick said, beginning to smile.

Jonathan and Nick nodded at each other as they each understood they had the exact same plan.