Chapter 40

Me, Izzy, and Alec are in his office discussing Clarys situation.

"You're the Head of the Institute. Can't you demand to know what happened with Clary?" Izzy asks.

"I've tried. The Council is freezing me out." Alec says.

There's a knock on the open door and Magnus enters.

"Sorry to interrupt." He says.

"Magnus." I say.

"Looks like someone needs a coffee." Izzy says.

"Oh, no thank you. I already had six. So, I was up all night researching the dark magic that Lilith has been using on Jace. I may have found a way to free him." Magnus says.

"What? How?" Alec asks.

"Based on your descriptions, it seems Lilith has Jace locked in some kind of a mental cage, and the only solution is breaking that cage by blasting Jace with enough magic to eviscerate her presence." He says.

"Do you have the power to do that?" I ask.

"No, but I will. In the Book of the White, I found a synthesis spell that'll allow me to temporarily channel – the magic of other warlocks." He says.

"How many warlocks?" Izzy asks.

"I'll need at least about a dozen to match Lilith's strength. I'll have to call in some favors, but this should work. There's just one tiny catch. We'll need the High Warlock's permission to organize something on this scale." He says.
———————————————————————————————————————-
Me and Alec are in his office. We invited Lorenzo over to talk about Lilith.

"Lilith, Queen of Edom, here in New York City? That's a terrifying prospect." He says.

"It is indeed. My Institute is hunting her as we speak. But she's proven rather elusive. More tea?" Alec asks.

"Yes, please. Té rojo is my favorite." Lorenzo replies.

Alec pours more tea into Lorenzo's cup and then sits down across from him.

"I would love to see your baby again. It's rare to see a baby downworlder, and as cute as she is." He says.

"Oh she's sleeping right now." I say.

"Wait. When did Lorenzo see Camille?" Alec asks.

"Oh, it was when I went over to his house to talk to him about business." I say.

"When did you do that? Oh was it when Magnus asked you to—" He starts, but I cover his mouth.

"Yes it was." I say interrupting him. I uncover his mouth.

"Lilith has taken a lieutenant using some form of mind control. A Shadowhunter. Our goal is to break him free, so that he can tell us everything about her plans, her location and her weaknesses. But this will require a great deal of magic." Alec says.

"You want my warlocks to confront this lieutenant?" He asks.

"No. Only one. Magnus Bane. He has found a spell that allows him to channel the magic of other warlocks. He'll be the only one in danger. Of course, we would never move forward without your blessing." He explains.