The Early Morning Swim

Hazel's POV

        I woke up to someone carefully shaking me awake.

        "Hazel, Hazel, it's time to wake up.................."A voice whispered quietly. 

        I moaned and turned away from the person trying to get me out of bed.

        "C'mon Sis, I'se gonna let you sell papes today!"The voice tempted.

        "Do I'se get to sell by myself?"I asked tempted.

        "No, you'se know ya not allowed to sell alone.  You'se gonna be sellin' with Chuckles as usual."The voice explained.

        "Then it ain't worth it!  I'se rather sleep in."I told the voice.

        "C'mon Hazel, I'se ain't got time for this!  Get ya lazy butt up!"The voice said annoyed.

        "Nope."I refused.

        "Alright then, but don't say I'se wasn't nice at first!"The voice said.

        The person threw the covers off me, picked me up bridal style, and carried me out of my room.  I opened my eyes to see Spot carrying me.

        "Where are you taking me?"I asked tiredly.

        "You'se will see."Spot responded

        He carried me out of the lodging house and onto the docks.  I shielded my eyes from the sun and groaned in annoyance.

        "You'se could've warned me were goin' outside!"I complained cosing my eyes again.

        "What fun would dat have been?"Spot said grinning.

        "Not fun for you'se, but convenient for me."I pointed out.

        "Well, life ain't always convenient, is it?"Spot said knowingly.

        When I opened my eyes again I was being held over the waters of Brooklyn.

        "Spot, what are ya doin' ?"I asked.

        "Teachin' ya a lesson for not wakin' up when I'se tell ya to."Spot explained.

        I then came to the sudden realization about what he was going to do.

        "You'se wouldn't dare!"I exclaimed shocked.

        "Wouldn't I'se?"Spot smirked.

        "You'se would!"I realized.

        "Have a nice early mornin' swim, Hazel."Spot said smiling.

        Then he released me from his arms, and I plummeted into the water.

        The cold water was a rude wake up call in the morning.  It pricked against my skin, causing me great discomfort.  My throat was on fire and I felt that I was running out of air.  I quickly swam to the top, gasping for air.

        I rubbed the water out of my eyes and saw Spot and Squints standing over me.  Squints had an old towel in his hand. th-58 

        Spot held his hand out and pulled me out of the water, then Squints wrapped the towel around me.

        "Did ya learn ya lesson about not wakin' up when I'se tell ya ta."Spot asked smiling.

        "Yes, I'se learned my lesson Spotty Boy."I said annoyed.

        "Good, cause next time I'se won't be so kind."Spot warned.

        "Throwin' me off the docks was kind?  I'se don't think you'se and I'se have the same definition of kind.  Kind would have been letting me sleep in or sell by meself."I explained.

        Spot chuckled and ruffled my hair.

        "Just go get ready for da day, kiddo."Spot said nudging me towards the Lodging House.

        "I fourteen not five, don't call me kiddo!"I exclaimed annoyed.

        Spot knows I hate being treated like a defenseless kid.

        "Would ya prefer me callin' ya princess instead?"Spot joked.

        "Neither."I said storming away from him and into the Lodging House.

        As I walked inside the Lodging House and up the stairs a lot of the newsboys greeted me.

        "Mornin' Princess."

        "What's got you'se in a mood, Princess?"

        "What ya runnin' from, Princess?

        "Princess, why are you'se all wet?"

         I ignored the voices, and the nickname that I hated with a passion and stormed back to my room.  I swung open the door, walked in, them slammed it shut again.  I was about to get changed when I noticed someone sitting on my bed.  It was Chuckles.

          "Hey, Hazel!  What's got ya all rialled up?"Chuckles asked smiling as usual.

        "Spot threw me in the docks, treated me like a kid who can't defend themselves, and everyone is still call in' me Princess."I huffed angrily.

          "Sorry ya got thrown in the docks, that's unfortunate.  As for Spot being overprotective and bein' called princess, that's never gonna change so ya should get use to it."Chuckles said truthfully.

        I groaned in annoyance.

        "I guess, ya right."I said.

        "Now, get ya self ready.  Those papes ain't gonna sell themselves."Chuckles said leaving the room.

        I changed out of my pajamas, which were really Spot's old pajamas, and into a fresh pair of clothes.

        www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=13500...

        I walked across the hall and fixed my hair, I left it out and loose instead of stuffing it in my news cap.  Then I met Chuckles downstairs and we walked to the distribution center together.  

        Since I was running behind this morning there was no line at the distribution center.  We walked right up to the platform where Mr Whale and Willy The Weeper were waiting for us.  

        I bet you're wondering about the names right?  Well, Mr.Whale's real name is Mr Wail but he is round and plump he looks like a whale.  Then there is Willy The Weeper.  We call him this because anytime he doesn't get his way, or even gets slightly hurt, he stars to weep like  baby.  Hence, the nickname.

        "Heya Mr Whale, 100 papes and make it snappy!"I ordered.

        "Watch ya mouth, Princess!  I could always send William over to beat the shit out of ya!  That'll treat ya to watch ya mouth."Mr. Whale threatened.

        I laughed.

        "You'se gonna send Willy The Weeper after me.  Oooh I'm so scared, I'm shaking in my boots."I said sarcastically.

        Willy had tears forming in his eyes.

        "I'se could beat ya up if I wanted too."Willy cried.

        "Yeah right, a lot of people could beat me up, but you'se ain't one of em' !"I exclaimed.

        I laughed and walked away from the distribution center with my papes in hand.  As I was walking I realized that Chuckles wasn't behind me.

        Then I had a brilliant idea.  I ran as fast as fast as my legs could carry me probably dropping a few a papes along the way. I ran out of Brooklyn and into Manhattan.  

        When I felt far enough away from Brooklyn, where Spot nor his boirds could catch me, I started to walk down the streets of Manhattan.

        For the first time in years, I was out of Brooklyn and on my own.  I am going to take advantage of this opportunity because I don't know if this is ever going to happen again.

        Besides, how much trouble could I really get myself into in one day.??????