twenty-two.

Katherines POV

I sat by my window, staring out of it for a while.

I feel empty. Which is crazy because I was doing decent before I met her but now I'm a complete and utter mess.

I stare at my phone waiting for a call. Or a text. Or something. I'll take anything that leads me to her at this point.

I guess staring at my screen for so long manifested something, because a phone call rings on my screen. But, it's not her.

"Hello?" I answer, not recognizing the number.

"Hello! It's Detective Gray. I just got ahold of Mrs O'connell, so I'm sure you've already heard-"

My skin shivers. I wish I'd heard from her.

"But, your court date is June 19. So, in two days. In case you lost count of the days." He chuckles, but I didn't find anything funny.

"Okay, thank you so much. Bye." I say, not even waiting for a response.

Maybe this is good. She has to go to court and so do I. So, we have to see each other. Especially since we are on the same side of the jurisdiction.

This is good.

I decide to move from slouching over my window sill and lay on my bed. I haven't really thought about what I'm going to say in court. Im going to tell the truth but, how do I even start? This one assault case has tumbled into way more than what I ever imagined.

But, I know I'll be okay. Nothing has changed, and I know what happened and I know the truth and so does everyone who will be in that room.

Besides the judge.

But, I'm not too worried about it. We had evidence and so much more. This is just stressful.

I'm more stressed about seeing Billie than I even am about the case. What if she lies on me? She wouldn't do that, would she?

I sit on my bed, untangling my necklaces and playing with the threads on my clothes. I don't want to do anything right now but I know I need to.

So, I text my friend Olivia and decide maybe we should just hang out. I haven't seen her since I started dating Billie and we used to be super close.

I facetime her, and everything feels new. We haven't talked in so long but we picked up right where we left off.

"Hey!! Are you busy right now?" I say, smiling as she shuffled her phone in her hands while walking.

"No, why?"

"I'm coming to pick you up. Bring snacks and stuff to make bracelets" I say, before hanging up.

I put on a white tube top with striped jeans and a white belt, and grabbed my keys. I realize I haven't eaten today, so I grab a granola bar before walking out the door.

Once I sit in the car, it feels weird. I'm used to driving with Billie. I'm used to playing our playlist, but I don't want to listen to that anymore.

I put on a playlist that I made forever ago instead, but I don't even like the music anymore.

I throw my hair in a bun before i start driving, and roll my window down so I can feel the wind while I drive.

I'm gonna make today good.

I got this.
____

"I want yellow, pink, and blue." Olivia says when picking out her colors for her bracelet.

"Ooh cute." I say, untangling the strings and cutting them to equal sizes.

"Bro, wait. Aren't you dating Billie Eilish?"

I sulk, holding my breath.

"Yeah! I am." I say, faking a smile.

She just gasps and laughs, scrolling through Billie's instagram.

"She's hot as hell." She says, showing me her feed repeatedly.

I've tried not to look at it since we've stopped talking.

"Don't say that around your boyfriend, he'd kill you." I say, laughing. But secretly I meant it. Her boyfriend is crazy toxic.

"Oh, we broke up. Like, three months ago." She says, putting her phone down.

We sit and braid and knot the strings together as we talk about the new things in our lives and how we've been.

"Yeah, I've been talking to this girl- i think you know her- she's from some christian private school." she says, which throws me off guard.

"A girl?" I say, confused as hell.

Olivia always made jokes about being gay but I never thought she was serious. She'd been dating her boyfriend for two years and so I figured she was honestly gonna marry that dude.

"Bro, oh my god. You've missed so much."

She continues to tell me about this girl- Mahogany- who I don't even know, by the way. She shows me pictures and tells me all about her and how sweet she is. And damn, I'm starting to get a crush just from her describing her.

And then she shows me a picture, and goddamn.

"Look."

She turns her phone towards me, flashing a picture that honestly caught my eye immediately.

"Oh my god." I say out loud, which I didn't mean to do. "She's fine as hell." I finish off.

"Right? Like she's gorgeous. And, so sweet and treats me like a queen."

"Damn, I need someone like her." I say, chuckling.

"Well, I mean what about Billie? She treats you good, right?"