Chapter 4

Braxton

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! I have a daughter! That little girl is mine. Looking closely, I can tell she has my eyes and very similar hair.

I can't believe it.

I have a daughter. A little girl, who is three years old and looks just like the beautiful woman across from me. The beautiful woman across from me that looks terrified.

"Can I meet her?" My voice is trembling.

"Really? You want to meet her?" Her eyes start to tear up and I start to panic. Shit. What did I do? Damn it. I can't deal with woman tears. I can't. Especially this woman, I want to kiss her tears away, but I don't think that would go well.

I stand up and slide into her side of the booth and rub my hand on her arm.

"Yeah, I mean if that's okay with you? I don't know what I'm doing. Shit, and now you're crying. I'm sorry. I just don't really know what to do. I've never done this before and I'm sorry. Just I'm sorry." She gives me a tiny smile as I ramble and stops crying.

"Yeah, you can meet her. It's just that I thought this would go awful and you would think I'm lying or take her or not want to be in her life. Thank you for trusting me. I should probably ask, do you have any other kids."

"Not that I know of." She laughs and gives me that blinding smile, the one that I haven't seen in 4 years. That one that lights up the room and makes me want to take her back to my place, but this time I'm not letting her out of my sight.

We spend hours talking and catching up, by the end I know that she's single and Cora is her only child. I know that she moved to Baytown when she learned she was pregnant and I know all about her job and how she loves to bake. She told me all about Cora Hazel Shaw and I can see the love that she has for our daughter written all over her stunning face.

I told her about my job at the hospital, as a pediatrician and she knows I'm single with no other kids.

We talked about our families, my parents and sister, and her parents and brother, who might propose to his girlfriend soon.

After we made plans for me to meet Cora, I realised something. I don't just want to be in Emily's life as Cora's father. I want to date Emily and spend time with both of them. Maybe, just maybe we could be a family. I will fight for her and the amazing life we could have, as a family.

***

Today is the day I meet my daughter.

I thought I was scared when I took my medical certification test, but that was nothing in comparison to this crippling fear I've been plagued with all morning. I don't know anything about little girls.

I don't know how to braid hair or have tea parties. Emily told me that Cora loves Disney princesses and I couldn't even name one.

I am always prepared for almost any situation, except for this one. I should have asked more questions. What if she doesn't like me? What if she doesn't want a dad? What if I fuck this up and she remembers it forever?

I count to ten and slowly inhale. Then exhale.

I can do this, it's just meeting them for dinner. We decided that it would be easiest for Cora to meet me at Emily's place, so she would be comfortable. The last thing I want to do is overwhelm either of them. Emily is already holding me at arm's length, which I don't blame her for. She has provided for our daughter for 3 years and she is just trying to protect them both.

It's my job to show her that I will protect them.

I have an hour 'till I need to be at their house, so I get in the car and drive to the grocery store. Why didn't I ask about their favorite flowers?