5. Home Sweet Home

"A Princess is not defined by her birth but by her character." ~ Satyaki

✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉

Satyaki POV

It has been years since Subhadra left the palace to go to Kanyakul and in these years, our royal palace has something lacking in itself.

However, today, Dwarka is filled with joy and celebrations as it's little princess is to return today after finishing her schooling in the Kanyakul.

We had all seen her as a young child but now, she is all grown up, fully capable of being the reason for our prosperity as her name suggests.

From being a young girl who was running around in the city of Dwarka, purifying the air of the city with her melodious laughter; she is returning to double the joy of Dwarka.

There is no doubt that she will be the same girl with care and love for everyone around her. Despite being the Princess of the city, she will continue to play with all the children of the residents.

Sometimes, she would lay down a breakfast table in the heart of the city and dine with the old women to remind their children about their duty of keeping them contented.

She would continue to possess kindness and humility that she had as a child for respect is her inborn virtue.

No matter where she goes, she will continue to spread smiles, the testimony to the fact being that I have a smile written on my face as I see Subhadra walking towards the palace, a cheerful smile playing on her lips.

No sign of sadness nor malice or cruelty on her face!

Here arrives the gem of Dwarka, a member of all the houses in Dwarka, dressed perfectly in orange and green; her golden ornaments in perfect match with her dusky complexion.

Her almond eyes are symbolising her innocence and subtle nature, a direct reflection of her pure soul.

"Long live the Princess!" I heard the greetings and cheers as she walked towards us, smiling at everyone and everything that she seems to witness with her doe-like-eyes.

* * *

Subhadra POV

I was moved by the love my people showered on me. How much I had missed this delightful environment! Dwarka is one of the best places ever, not because of its exquisite beauty but due to the hearts of its people.

As I felt flowers shower on me, I lifted my head to find soldiers on the balconies of the houses in the attempt to display their skills to present me, a warm welcome.

'I am blessed to be born as the Princess of Dwarka' I thought.

"Rajkumari?" I smiled at the cute girl looking at me with her hands crossed behind her back.

"Yes, what is the matter?" I asked and she smiled, offering a white lotus that she managed to hide behind her. I acknowledged the present with a warm smile.

"How do you know I like white lotuses dear?" I asked for her to blush at me. I signalled my royal helpers to fetch a childhood toy I used to play with.

"What's your name?" I asked, on sensing that she was nervous.

"Krithi."

"That is such a sweet name! Do you know, this is one of my favorites. The first present to me by my brothers but now, I think I have become old enough to play with this. So, hope you like it!" I extended the doll to her.

A wide range of emotions were playing on her face and she tried to act mature.

"How could I take this present, Rajkumari? You seem to be very much attached to this doll" She said though she was yearning to feel and play with the doll on the inside.

"I can take it, if she doesnt want the doll." I heard a melodious voice and smiled as I turned to Charu who stepped beside me now.

I looked at the girl who had a tense frown on her face as she started, "If you insist so much, I will definitely accept this doll as a gift."

Then, she grabbed the doll from my hands and Charu pulled her cheeks playfully. In a moment, I found her hugging both of us and we smiled to each other.

"Both of you seem unchanged!" I heard a voice and smiled at the old man who had just voiced his thoughts.

"How could we change? Having spent our early childhood in this palace, we are bound to have all these traits" I smiled and Charu nodded.

Soon, all the young lads started running around both of us in circles and I heard Charu's rising happiness. I looked around the place and an arrow stuck against a wooden target caught my eyes.

Whenever an arrow came under my eyes, it always reminded me of the Gurukul - a boy standing on the hill top with a bow, the best Archer of all the time - "ARJUN" and also my failed efforts to meet him.

Over the years, I had heard his name various times as all the maidens in the Kanyakul kept reciting this name everyday like a lesson. He was praised by everyone and my teacher often described him as the most brave and courageous person she ever met.

I have often wondered what he possessed for everyone kept singing praises about him and his achievements. Also to admit the fact that the more I tried to comprehend the reason for my attachment to his name and it's relevance to me, the more I was drawn towards it.

'What was I even upto? Admiring a person whom I have never met. Thinking about his name and it's magic it owned? It is all because of Duhsalla, Charu and Kanyakul. I would often blame them but on the inside I knew that they were not wholly responsible and that I was simply found in those places where this name was taken.'

'Should I call it destiny or should I call it coincidence? Are these thoughts, a result of my innate curiosity or do I have something to do with this man in my life? These thoughts have always tired me but this exhaustion did not hold me back from thinking about him.'

My thoughts was disturbed by the sound of the royal gong. I looked up to see my two brothers fully grown up but it didn't take me much time to recognize the changes.

"Bratashri!" I exclaimed.

Though Brata Balram had a stiff and stern appearance, his eyes reflected the pure love and care he had for his family and his kingdom. This wasn't something that many noticed.

While on the other hand, Brata Krishna, the man with a peacock feather on his crown, his divine eyes glowing with mischief and knowledge.

"Subhadra..." Another voice called out to me as I turned behind to face the person.

Do vote and comment.