4. New Feelings

"If I had a flower for everytime you made me smile to myself, I would have a garden to walk in, forever." ~ Subhadra

✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉

It felt like a dream, rendering me speechless with my eyes fixed at him. Taking in the sweet air, an excitement arose in me as I delivered it, "Arjuna."

The surreal ambience left me smiling to myself which evaporated when I heard Charu and Dushalla scream out to me. I turned behind and signalled them that I was coming. Glancing back at him for one last time, I ran towards the entrance of the Gurukul.

As I reached the entrance, I found Dushalla and Mantri Vidur engaged in a deep conversation. 

"Nature has a solution for all our  queries. It would tell you what your heart prefers. The best way to take a decision is to go away to a silent path, loneliness being your companion and repeat your question. An answer will strike your mind, it being the best choice for you in all aspects."

"What if the answer I receive, makes no sense?" Dushalla asked.

"Sensible questions yeild sensible answers," He said with a suppressed smile.

"The description of being sensible does not suit Dushalla, Mantriji" Charu said and we both burst out laughing.

"Both of you keep quiet" Dushalla said, chasing Charu as she ran away. I followed them when I felt a tug in my skirt. Looking down, I found a thread of my skirt stuck to an arrow.

His arrow.

I disentangled my skirt and picked up the arrow, carefully running my small fingers through the sharp wooden edges of the arrow.

The arrow's staff had been carved with utmost perfection, it was a flawless piece.

He was a perfectionist!

There were tiny yet deep marks on an end of the arrow, leaving the usually sharp edges blunt.

He was a dedicated student!

The hen feathers were sparkling white in colour, in sharp contrast to the regular reddish black ones.

His favourite colour was white, representing his calm nature!

There was a small carving of Lord Shiva near the feathers. Inspite of it's tiny appearance, it seemed to have been worshipped like the main idol in our Somnath Temple.

He was humble, seeming to submit his victory to the feet of God!

Before I could make another riveting observation, Dushalla called out to me again.

"Coming!" I said, unsure of whether I had to drop the arrow down or take it along with me. My heart asked me to take the arrow along, for it was not an ordinary one but my values held me back. It wasn't appropriate for me to take other's possessions without their permission.  

As always, my heart won the battle and I grasped the arrow in my hands.

"I shall return this back to you Arjun" I whispered, stepping inside the chariot, taking a last glance of the school before riding away. The sky turned orange in colour as we reached the Kanyakul. As we got down, we took the blessings of Mantri Vidur and he smiled at us.

"Everything happens for a reason. The choice of your parents to send you to the Kanyakul is because you are going to play important roles in carving the destiny of Aryavat. Prepare yourselves as royalty is both a blessing and a curse" He said.

We nodded, despite the mention of royalty being a curse being beyond our levels of understanding. We saw the chariot disappear into thin air after sometime and smiled at each other. The visit to the Gurukul was a rewarding experience. 

"So, shall we?" I asked my friends as we entered the Kanyakul holding each other's hands. As we entered inside, we saw all the Princesses seated in a circle. 

"What is going on?" Charu asked as Dushalla sprang towards them.

"Guruma taught us poetry today. She has asked us to write one poem about anything we like in our lives but none of us are able to frame the lines..." A Princess replied and Charu glanced at me in confusion.

"Do we three have to write a poem too?" I asked and they nodded. Dushalla was the first to run to our tent to fetch a paper and a peacock feather for the three of us to write.

"What do we write about?" Charu asked as she accepted the paper from Dushalla. I sat down on the rock and sighed to myself, thinking of what was important to me in my life. An idea struck my mind and I began penning down the thoughts that were running in my mind. 

"I finished mine!" Charu exclaimed as the other Princesses widened their eyes. It wasn't a surprise for me as I knew that Charu was good at poetry. Dushalla too penned down a poem on her family. 

"I have written it too!" I started and both of them asked me to read the poem loud. I was startled and nodded in negative. 

"You're raising our curiosity Subhu! Show us the poem" Dushi and Charu tried snatching the paper from my hand.

"This is a secret..." I shouted, running away from there to the lakeside. By the moonlight, I read out the poem to myself, smiling at the arrow in my hand. 

Poem credits: _untold-secrets

Do vote and comment.