Assessment

-I have a Deviant Art now! I'll be posting fandom sketches and stuff, as well as some unofficial illustrations to stories I've written on here.-

The core three members of the team had a mission, just the three of them, and boy was it exciting. Don't get them wrong, they loved M'gann and Conner, and Artemis was a great asset, but it felt good to have a mission with just the boys. M'gann even leant them the Bioship, which was awesome.

Okay, technically it was Robin being groomed for team leader, and Wally tagging along, but it was still fun. On this 'mission', Robin would lead the two of them while Kaldur assessed his performance, giving advise and reporting to Batman.

"Okay, uh, we're gonna-uh, strategize this plan-wait- sorry..." Dick was SO nervous to be doing this. At least it Artemis wasn't there. "Sorry, sorry! Can I start over?"

Kaldur nodded patiently. "You don't need to apologize. Take your time." He knew Batman wouldn't share this sentiment, but Kaldur understood why he was so nervous to try leading again. 

"Thanks. Sorry." Dick tried to sort his mind out, panicking a little. "So..." he clicked his tongue nervously. "Drug deals and gang action downtown. We need someone to sneak photos, and someone else to be in charge of recording at least twenty minutes of audio..." he glance at the other two anxiously. 

Wally cringed a  little. Dick was really trying, and he supported him,  but still. As for Kaldur, it got more clear by the minute that Robin was not at all ready to lead. He didn't blame Robin for that, Batman conditioned him to follow orders, not to give them. It wasn't fair for his mentor to demand that he stay in line, and then expect him to be an ideal leader without training.

"Robin, will you assign roles?" Kaldur prompted helpfully.

"Oh, Right. Well, usually I'd volunteer... but I feel like I should assign them to you guys..." He glanced nervously at his team leader, who nodded encouragingly. "Okay, KF, you do audio: plant these microphones around their hangout. Aqualad, you do your best to sneak in and get some photos." 

"And why did you assign the way you did?" Kaldur asked.

"Huh?" Dick asked anxiously. 

"My apologies, it's for the assessment I must fill out." 

"Oh, uh..." Dick struggled with his thoughts. "Well, I thought that Kid Flash might move too fast and make the pictures blurry. But also, his speed could be useful to quickly plant the transmitters."

"And?"

"And I thought that you'd be better at acting casual and might be able to blend into the background better. And I'll watch from the sidelines, and come in to help if I need to..." 

Dick watched Aqualad scribble something down and nod. "Thank you."

Dick improvised his way though giving the others orders, and flopped back into his seat to wait for them. He wasn't able to fly the ship, only Kaldur, and M'gann (and sometimes Conner), could fly it. So Dick stayed in his seat and contemplated.

He didn't like leading. He wanted to be the best and stuff, but ever since the 'training exercise', he couldn't even lead a group project in class. He felt weak and sick, and stuttered over every other word. Why did he send Wally and Kaldur down there? This was exactly what fucked him up in the exercise. 

He closed his eyes and gulped hard, trying to suppress the memories. 

Wally said he was gonna stay down there incase kaldur needed a getaway. Dick didn't like being apart from them. He waited. And waited. They recording device in the ship was picking up the audio transmissions, and Kaldur sent news that he was getting some photos.