52: "RICH MEN IN HIGH TOWERS"

It was nearly midnight by the time Lera and Natalya headed back to their hotel. The Crowne Plaza lit up the night with a golden glow, warm and inviting amidst the Moscow streets.

The pair walked along the sidewalk. Natalya was laughing at her own joke so hysterically that Lera couldn't help but join in, and she nearly snorted with laughter.

Her cheeks hurt from smiling so much that night, and it was then that Finka realized how long it had been since she had allowed herself to feel good about much of anything.

"Talya," she managed between chortles, "you still haven't told me anything about what happened."

The other woman groaned and looked up to the night sky. "Ugh."

"Normally I wouldn't push, but I think it can be good to talk about these things."

"I know. I know." Natalya slowed her step and shoved her hands in her pockets. "There was an oil spill, up in the Kara Sea."

Lera's jaw clenched. "Pretty bad?"

"Remember the BP oil spill in 2010? Gulf of Mexico?

"Yes."

Natalya sighed. "This is worse." She stopped walking and looked to the cracks in the sidewalk at her feet. "Like - an entire board of the highest paid lawyers in the country just failed to sweep it under the rug."

Lera let her companion's words sink in, and she nodded her understanding.

Tears had begun to form in Natalya's eyes, and she wiped them away with one hand. "You can't lose in my business, Lera. When I say I'm fucked, I mean I'll never practice law again. They'll make sure of it."

"Who is 'they'?"

"You know. The powers that be. The rich men in their high towers."

Lera frowned crookedly. "I know the type."

Natalya let out a slow, mighty breath and finally met Lera's gaze. Her dark eyes were pools of regret. Sorrow. Pain. "I'm going to lose everything. My house. All of it. It's all tied to my corporation. I've never lost before, and...." she shrugged and trailed off before bowing her head again in defeat.

The gravity of it all finally hit Lera, and she stepped forward and embraced her friend tightly. "I'm sorry, Talya."

Natalya buried her face in Lera's shoulder, still buzzed from the drinks at then bar, and she failed to stifle her sobs. "Oh, shit. Shit, shit, shit." Her words were muffled by Lera's jacket.

"Let's get back to the hotel. It's almost midnight."

Natalya pulled away, wiping her eyes furiously. "Here I am, crying like a little girl. Ugh."

"It's okay."

"Thank you, but it's not." The woman managed a smile as they both continued walking to the hotel nearby. "There won't be time for that in the days to come."

Lera shrugged. "Doesn't mean you aren't allowed to feel pain."

Her friend looked at her curiously. "Really. Did you go into psychology at NSU and never tell me?"

"Not quite," chuckled Lera. "But a colleague of mine - well, my boss - he's very insightful. He's taught me some things. Useful things."

"You haven't told me about your work!" Natalya exclaimed. "Forgive me. I've just been going on and on about myself."

"No. It's boring."

"But what are you doing these days?"

"Research." Lera shrugged. It wasn't a lie, after all. "Muscular anatomy. Boring stuff."

Natalya's eyes widened. Her features hardened with determination, like she was trying very hard to recall something. She held up a finger and pointed to Lera. "Muscular neuropathy. CMT. I remember."

Lera smiled softly, but said nothing.

Natalya put a hand to the woman's shoulder. "Forgive me," she asked again. "I haven't even asked. How are you doing with all of that? I remember it being in remission when we were in school."

Lera sighed. It was this kind of attention, this pity, that she hated. "I'm fine." Kind of a lie. "Just doing research. Taking it a day at a time.

"Any luck?" Natalya asked.

"Now it's me saying 'forgive me'," answered Lera with an apologetic grin, "but I'd rather not talk about it. I'm on vacation to get away from it."

"Say no more," her friend declared. "Matter of fact, same for me. Out of sight, out of mind. Fuck Rosneft. They want to fire me? Their loss."

"Damned right."

Lera and Natalya continued on. The night wind was a pleasant breeze, and seemed to match the rhythm of the headlights of the occasional passing car. A gust sent leaves scattering about at the women's feet, and Lera turned to her friend with sudden realization. "Didn't you say your company cancelled your hotel reservation, too?"

"Yes."

Lera scowled. "What assholes."

"Indeed."

"Well, I mean - if you need a place to stay, you can crash in my room. I have a suite."

Natalya looked to Lera and fawned gratefully. "That's sweet. Seriously. Thank you, but I've got it covered."

"You sure?"

"Oh yeah." Natalya pursed her lips to blow stray strands of dark hair from her eyes. "They can suck it. I'm still made of money, honey. Lawyer life."

Lera laughed. "Good."