31: "BRIEFING EN ROUTE"

SEPTEMBER 10, 2019
DULLES NATIONAL AIRPORT
WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES

10:29

Collin "Warden" McKinley adjusted his glasses as he strode purposefully for the curbside pickup outside the International Arrivals terminal. His fellow Rainbow operators followed. They were all dressed in casual clothing, and would be posing as a specialized UN task force.

Warden much preferred Reagan National Airport, but Dulles was more accommodating for international flights. He checked his watch and steered sharply past a coffee kiosk. "Our rides are here," he announced softly into his mic. "Security team will shuttle us to the convention center."

IQ faltered in her step at the coffee stand. "Wait."

Nobody did.

The woman rolled her eyes and jogged to catch up to her companions. "No time for coffee?" she grumbled as she neared Blitz.

"Not when Collinn's leading the parade," the man answered with a grin. "Man on a mission, that one."

"Studies have shown that caffeine helps soldiers stay more focused and alert on-mission."

Blitz frowned. "Which studies?"

"There's probably one somewhere. That's not the point, Elias."

"I know." Elias chuckled and threw an arm around the woman's shoulder. "I told Harry we need to get you a coffee packet integrated into your helmet. Hook that up to an IV, and boom. You're good to go."

IQ elbowed Blitz, who only laughed harder, and the pair nearly stumbled into the Bosak sisters, who shoved them lightly away.

The entourage was soon outside, and they were met by Secret Service agents and a motorcade of black armored SUVs. A man in a suit stepped from the ranks to meet them, adjusting his earpiece. His serious face broke into a wide smile when he saw Warden. "McKinley?" he exclaimed in surprise, extending his hand. "No shit. How long has it been?"

Warden remained suave as always as he shook the man's hand. "At least two years, Dodd. How you been?"

"Can't complain." Dodd nodded a greeting at the other Rainbow operators as they neared. "The summit starts at 15:00 hours. Let's get going. I'll brief you all en route."

* * *

The motorcade headed from the airport to the Washington Convention Center, and Dodd voiced his briefing over the radio, which came over headsets that were already awaiting users in each vehicle.

"We have three elements we're running security for: Knife, Dragon, and Stone. POTUS is designated 'Knife' - President Yi is designated 'Dragon' - President Vikhrov is designated 'Stone' - now, I understand you have both Russian and Chinese specialists to act as liaisons for Dragon and Stone?"

"Yes," Warden answered. He knew Lesion and Ying, both from Hong Kong, weren't entirely keen on being considered 'Chinese' - they weren't even in the same car as him, but he could feel their disapproval over the radio.

"Excellent. The good news is there's so much security at this thing that we don't have to worry about bodyguards. What we're tasked with is defending a fallback position in the event of a threat."

Warden nodded. "What's the plan there?"

"We have multiple points of retreat ready if needed, to the north, south, east and west of the convention center - forwarding them to you now - but the primary location is the restricted-access parking garage beneath the center itself. It spans nearly the entire distance of the center overhead, with multiple choke points, long corridors, large rooms."

"And I assume the Russians and Chinese have been briefed on all locations?"

"That's correct." Dodd adjusted his earpiece. "The White House Chief of Staff has his guys coordinating communications between all three security details. We just need to be ready to do our part, and hope we're not needed. Now, if all of you would look at your tablets, we'll go over the itinerary."

The Rainbow operators looked to their handheld screens. The Secret Service agents seated among them did the same.

"Current time is 10:37. Press and media will be allowed entry at 13:30. Guests will begin arriving at 14:00. ETA to the convention center is 11:00. Plain-clothes walk-and-assess until 12:45, where we'll provide a tour of the AO. At 13:00, an hour before the guests' arrival and half an hour before press admittance, we will take our positions as designated." Dodd paused. "Any questions?"

"Yes," drawled Warden. "Who will be vetting the press?"

"Secret Service. No rent-a-cops here."

"Are we all stationing in one location and then reacting accordingly to potential threats?" cane one of Dodd's agents.

"Secret Service personnel will answer to me." Dodd swiped at his screen. "Our friends here from the UN will divvy up as they see fit, long as they keep us informed."

Warden nodded. "Wilco."

Dodd wore a polite smile, but he cleared his throat before issuing a final declaration. "Say again: all units, Secret Service and UN - this does not work without proper coordination. You will keep us informed of your movements and observations, and we shall do the same."

Warden grinned and switched off his radio. He motioned for Dodd to do the same, and the man obliged. "You don't have to worry about us."

"We'll see."

"We'll stay in our lanes, obey all the signs." Warden offered a firm nod of reassurance. "You have my word."

"After what MI-5 did during that op in London, I don't take chances, Collinn. That's all."

"Don't worry, Dodd. We're not MI-5."

Dodd gave another polite grin. "We'll see."