03: "THE PASHKOV HOUSE"

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019
MOSCOW, RUSSIA
KHAMOVNIKI DISTRICT
THE PASHKOV HOUSE

The famed Pashkov House was always a sight to behold, even for Matvei Federov, who had spent much of his adult life living in Moscow. The man stopped at the base of the stone steps leading to the front portico and gazed solemnly upward at the front facade of the mansion.

His eyes wandered over the tall stone columns that loomed above. Most of the windows glowed with warm light, and Matvei took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, careful to steady his nerves.

Tonight was crucial. Everything depended on him, and on the men waiting inside. Matvei thrusted his hands into his jacket pockets and began ascending the stairs. He could feel the eyes of the security guards upon him.

The pair of guards nodded their greetings, and one stepped aside to let him through the front doors.

Matvei voiced his thanks, but slowed to a stop. "One of you have a smoke?"

Both guards shook their heads. Matvei noticed the glance that one shot to the other.

"Mm." Matvei looked at one of the guards, then the other. "Do I really have to do this every time?"

Neither guard answered.

"Fine." Federov cleared his throat. "I'm in the market for a rare book. Perhaps you could help."

The taller guard shrugged. "Ask one of the librarians inside. We're just security."

Federov rolled his eyes. "I'm looking for Krylov's Fables - the 1855 edition."

"Ah." The taller guard reached into his coat pocket and produced a pack of cigarettes. He took one for himself and handed one to Federov before offering a light. "In that case, follow me."

Rather than lead Federov through the front entrance, the guard gestured for him to follow as they strolled along a path outside the mansion, leaving the other security guard at the front doors.

"Honestly," Federov groaned, "you know me by now. Stop making me do the stupid password/test thing."

"Rules are rules, sir."

"It's tiresome and redundant."

The guard stopped abruptly and turned to face Matvei. "Mr. Krishkin would disagree, sir - I believe it would be best for you to remember this."

Federov cocked his head, not averting his eyes from the other man's gaze. "And I would suggest you remember who you are speaking to. I am going to meet with Mr. Krishkin behind closed doors. You are not." He stepped closer to the guard. "Let us continue on before things get worse for you."

Both men stared each other down for a long moment. Wind rustled the leaves of the trees outside the mansion, and the guard seemed to finally grasp the weight behind Federov's words. He turned away and grunted his acceptance, and the pair resumed their trek around the mansion perimeter.

They crossed a beautiful courtyard and rounded the corner to the rear of the mansion beneath an overhanging portico on the second floor, stepping through shadows cast by tall stone columns and proud trees.

Instead of ascending the rear outdoor staircase to the ornate back porch, they passed it and stole into a narrow staircase leading down into a shadowy basement entrance, completely hidden from the view of any passersby or would-be intruders.

A dying lightbulb above a wrought-iron door flickered on and off, revealing another guard stationed outside. This man wore a leather jacket and jeans instead of the security staff uniform the other guards wore. He straightened when Federov and his escort neared. "Matvei."