36: "JADE AND URAL"

13:02

Tachanka and Kapkan made their way down one of many hallways in an underground network not accessible by the public, and rounded a final corner before coming to a lengthy stretch of corridor leading to the makeshift headquarters for President Vikhrov's security detail.

"They look jumpy," Kapkan murmured quietly as they approached the entrance. Four armed guards in suits flanked the doorway, and two stepped forward cautiously.

"Stop glaring at everyone and we'll be fine, Max."

"I can't help it. It's the... bitch face."

Tachanka laughed heartily, his chortles booming down the corridor walls. "It's 'resting' bitch face. Not just 'bitch face.'"

"I don't remember. It was just what Finka told me once."

"She wasn't wrong."

"Fuck off, Alex."

One of the guards up ahead held up a hand to signal the two Rainbow operators slow to a halt. "UN detachment?" he asked in Russian.

"Yes." Tachanka shook the man's hand, and nodded a greeting to the other bodyguards.

The guard motioned with a wave. "Apologies, but arms out to your side, please."

Tachanka and Kapkan obeyed, and two of the man's comrades stepped forward to frisk them both. Satisfied, they stepped back and voiced their approval to their officer.

"Good." The lead guard beckoned them forward. "President Vikhrov is inside, going over some last-minute changes with his staff. My men and I answer to Captain Kosonov. I'll take you to him."

The men followed the guard inside, leaving the other three security personnel to watch the door. They entered a large staging area with concrete walls that funneled into a small atrium, which housed a conference room with glass walls and a furnished long table with chairs.

The President of Russia, Daniil Vikhrov, sat at the head of the table, exuding reserved confidence and sharp resolve as always. Men in uniforms and men in suits filled the other seats.

Tachanka and Kapkan were ordered to wait outside. The door security lead beckoned to one of the men inside, who quietly stood and excused himself from the meeting. He was a handsome man in his late forties, with dark brown hair and a grizzled face, and his piercing green eyes surveyed the newcomers as he exited the room and strode to meet them.

"You must be the UN representatives." He extended his hand to the Spetsnaz operators. "Anton Kosonov, FSB. Security Lead for President Vikhrov."

Alexsandr shook his hand. "Tachanka."

Maxim stepped forward to greet him. "Kapkan."

Kosonov raised his eyebrows. "Callsigns? I can appreciate that. Follow me. We'll get you acquainted with the team, and points of interest.

* * *

Ying and Lesion were further down the main corridor, being escorted by two members of the Chinese security team.

They spoke the same language, but there was a heavy tension in the air, as relations between China and Hong Kong - Ying and Lesion's home - had long been strained, and it was palpable even now as they neared the entrance to President Yi's underground headquarters.

The duo had already been frisked, and so there was no delay as they passed through the entrance. Like the Russians' atrium, this one had a conference room and other amenities.

Ying and Lesion slowed to a stop. The conference room had already been adjourned, and some of the Chinese President's staff were still inside, wrapping up post-meeting matters and boxing up documents.

Lesion elbowed Ying discreetly. "You good?"

The woman nodded. "You?"

"Mm."

A moment later, a group of men in suits flowed around a hallway corner just ahead and strode for their position.

Most were armed, but at their center was President Huang Li and some other diplomats. President Li was scanning documents in his hands as one of his aides talked rapidly.

As they neared, one of the men broke off and walked briskly to meet the Rainbow operators. "United Nations liaisons?" he asked, shaking their hands.

"You can call me Lesion. This is Ying, my colleague."

"Good to meet you both." The man's hair was slicked back, and he ran a hand through it habitually. "I am Jianyu Yang, MSS. Come with me, please."

Ying and Lesion obliged, and exchanged discreet glances as they followed Jianyu down a small hallway, away from the hustle and bustle of the President and his staff.

"We are happy for your assistance. Our ambassador spoke very highly of your service records." Jianyu opened a glass door, and two armed guards saluted him as the trio passed. "As requested by your superiors, your operator kits were shipped prior to your arrival. I'm taking you to them now, in a secured area of one of the locker rooms."

Fluorescent lights overhead lit the way as their footsteps padded the concrete floor in a steady cadence. Eventually they reached the locker room, where most of the Chinese security team was suiting up.

Lesion and Ying felt the curious gazes of the MSS agents upon them as they walked in, snaking through the rows of lockers and following Jianyu to a dimly lit corner. A walk-in cage awaited, and Jianyu unlocked the padlock and stepped aside to allow Lesion and Ying to pass through. "Everything should be there."

Ying nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course. If there's anything else you need, please let me know. Once suited up, meet in the corridor. We will be convening with the Russians and Americans for a briefing."