34: "WE NEVER REALLY KNOW"

"Jesus." Boris's mouth was suddenly dry. "This is insanity, Matvei."

"No, Boris. Insanity is watching our friends, our teachers, get torn apart by soldiers who were supposed to protect us." Matvei hit CALL on his phone. "Insanity is watching my older sister burn along with half of her friends because some fuck ordered a Shmel rocket strike on a fucking classroom."

The pair drove in silence while Matvei's international call was directed. After a few moments, a man answered on the other line.

"Matvei?"

"Viktor."

"Where are you!? We've prepped and have been waiting for—"

"Viktor, listen close." Matvei gazed out the window at the passing Moscow cityscape, its pedestrians walking the streets completely unaware of the situation at hand. "I cannot be there with you today."

"What? What do you mean?"

Matvei shifted in his seat. He disliked lying in general, but it was necessary now, and so he doubled down and steadied his voice. "There's been a change of plans. The Kremlin is onto me. My contact there has betrayed us."

Boris cringed inwardly at Matvei's lie.

"I... what does that mean? Are you not here?!"

"I'm still in Russia, Viktor. We don't have the bomb. I think our supplier betrayed us."

That was not a lie.

"Viktor?"

"I'm here."

"Listen close, brother - the mission depends on you. Strike as planned."

"But we don't have the device," the man on the other line hissed. "That was the plan! You said—"

"Calm yourself. Things change."

"— for our lost comrades! For your sister, Matvei! How is that supposed to happen now?!"

"Viktor!" Matvei snapped. "Listen to me: calm down. Now."

The line went obediently silent.

Matvei inhaled sharply. "I've been compromised, brother. I have no choice. I am sorry I can't be there with you, but I'm retreating now to buy time. It's the only way the final step will be achieved - understand? I have to try. I promised Yegor and the others we'd complete our mission." He paused. "Now, I'm promising you."

After another lengthy silence, Viktor finally let out an exhale of acceptance. "Understood. We are to proceed, then?"

"Yes, comrade. You don't have the device, no - but you don't need it to make our voice heard, and the world will hear you, loud and clear."

"Matvei, we were all supposed to go with the explosion." Viktor lowered his voice. "What do I tell the men?! Fight to the death?"

"Precisely. Let chaos be your voice."

A cold air seeped over the conversation. Matvei let his lieutenant on the other line process what he was saying for a few moments before continuing. "Viktor, it won't be easy, but we are the voices for our dead brothers and sisters, are we not?"

"Yes. Always. We'll be heard. You have my word."

Matvei nodded. "You all are lions among men. You will be remembered. Our fallen comrades will be proud."

"Thank you, sir. We'll see you on the other side."

"Good-bye, Viktor."

Boris watched Matvei hang up out of the corner of his eye. "Now what?"

"We meet with the Deputy Prime Minister, and I explain to her the delay with the nuclear device. She will do what she needs to do, but ultimately Shumeyko still needs us."

"She only needs us if she still wants the device, Matvei. Unless she can contact your supplier herself?"

"Negative. I'm the only one that they'll do business with."

"What exactly happened in India? Did the exchange go bad?"

Matvei shook his head. "I don't know yet. I need to make contact and figure it out. We had everything they asked for - the entire payment. I spoke with Khatri two nights ago, and he said all was well."

Boris slowed to a stop at a red light. "And still nothing from Yevgeni or the others?"

"Nothing," Matvei replied. "I've been trying his phone all day. Same with Vachislav, Arseny. No answer from anyone we sent to New Delhi."

"Fuck. I didn't like those rogue MARCOS guys from the start. They probably fucked us."

Matvei sighed. "I'll reach out to them after this meeting with Shumeyko. I'll explain the current situation." The man leaned his forehead against the passenger-side window. "As far as she knows, our interests align with hers - a new Russia, one with President Vikhrov removed from power. One where Russia does not cater to the West's whims, or America's sensibilities."

"You don't think she suspects anything?"

"No. I believe if she did, Shumeyko would have had us killed already."

"Hm. Suppose that makes sense."

Matvei and Boris rode in silence for a few thoughtful minutes, heading towards the Kremlin at the center of Moscow.

Matvei found himself restless as they drew nearer. "I'm a good judge of character, Boris," he said, breaking the quiet. "I met that rogue MCF commander in person - he did not strike me as the sort to plunge a knife into an ally's back."

Boris cursed under his breath. "But we never really know, do we?"

"No, we certainly do not."