"Thank you," Kakyoin says. Holly gives him a smile.

"I don't want you getting sick," she says. She perks up, looking past Kakyoin's head. "There he is. You two have fun, okay?"

Jotaro falters when he sees Kakyoin in his scarf, but scratches the back of his neck and nods at his mother. As far as Kakyoin knows, Holly is not aware that this is a date; so he waits until they're outside to put his hand on Jotaro's back.

"Sorry about the scarf. Holly jumped me."

"It's fine," Jotaro reassures. His voice grows quiet. "You look nice in white."

"Hm. It's more cream, I'd say," Kakyoin corrects, smiling when Jotaro playfully shrugs his hand off.

He mumbles something, tugs his hat's brim down, and begins the walk to the metro station without another word. Kakyoin regrets not asking where they were going beforehand, but being with Jotaro soothes some of his nerves. He has a calm, focused aura. Even the afternoon crowds seem more manageable when he is with the other man. When faced with the shortage of seats, Jotaro insists that Kakyoin be the one to sit, and rests a tentative hand on his shoulder while they wait. Kakyoin feels much happier than he did an hour ago.

They get off and walk the rest of the way to a steakhouse. Kakyoin thinks the name, Smokey's House, is clever. Jotaro must be a regular, as he and the hostess share small talk as she leads them to their table. Kakyoin takes the time to appreciate the inside of the building. He loves the characteristic warm wood tones and sparse lighting. Coupled with the sun setting outside, it is even cozier.

He continues to steal glances at the architecture after they sit, feeling Jotaro's eyes on him in turn.

"You act like you've never been anywhere before," Jotaro jokes.

He shrugs. "I like the interiors of these places."

"Artist approved, huh?"

Kakyoin fights off a frown. "Yeah."

Few words pass between the time they order and when the food arrives. Kakyoin would not have anything but the comfortable silence. Neither of them is very good at making polite conversation, so it would have been horrendous anyways.

It appears to bother Jotaro a little more, and he attempts to spark talk while they eat.

"You've met my family," he begins. "Have you got any?"

Kakyoin nods. "I haven't seen them a while," he admits. "We moved here when I was younger. From Japan. My dad got a job offer. It fell through right after I enrolled here, so I stayed and they went home."

"All the independence you want now."

"Well, Jean is practically my new father."

Jotaro chuckles. "Yeah, he's a... character."

"He cares about me," Kakyoin says. "That's all I could ask for."

"I can tell he does. Must be nice to have a friend like that."

Kakyoin hides a frown in his next bite of food. Jotaro is rather popular with both women and men — does he really not have a best friend? Kakyoin cannot imagine life without Jean, and not only because he is stuck living with the lovable oaf for the next year and a half.

"Yeah," he replies absentmindedly. "What about your dad?"

Jotaro's gaze, which had been focused near Kakyoin, drops to his plate. "Divorce. I'm from Japan, too, and Mom moved us here a few years back 'cause Joseph lives here. I don't see my father a lot."

Kakyoin feels like he hit a nerve, but does not apologize or bring it up. He finds it better to move on when it comes to talking to Jotaro. "Ah."

"Are your folks nice?"

"I suppose," Kakyoin says. "Strict. But Holly reminds me of my mom."

"Woof," Jotaro says. Kakyoin laughs.

The mood grows lighter after that. While the drone of a sports channel and chatter from the nearby bar puts him on edge, it's easy enough to tune it all out while he listens to Jotaro.

"So what's up with Jean?" Jotaro asks, once the conversation has died down.

"Did he get to you that much?" Kakyoin asks jokingly, though there is sincerity hiding within it.

"No," he says. "He's just kinda territorial."

Kakyoin rests his chin in his hand, thinking. He can recall the night a few weeks before he met Jotaro where he and Jean really bonded; though he will not mention that part Jotaro. They had confided in each other and Kakyoin decides it's safe enough to at least share a theory with Jotaro. "I think he feels indebted to me."

"Guess that'll do it," is all Jotaro offers.

He feels piggish agreeing to it, but allows Jotaro to order desert to split between the two of them. Kakyoin teases him for getting food all over his face, but the red that rises in Jotaro's face as he wipes off the flick of ice cream with his thumb makes his heart skip a beat.