Epilogue

The wedding took place a month later. Evolet had returned home first to be reunited with Vanadey who gladly embraced her. Although offered a place in the castle, Vanadey declined stating she would much rather tend her apothecary shop and enjoy nature than stay cooped up in a castle. Evolet, knowing Vanadey, understood this and smiled.

The villagers celebrated first in the village before leading a grand and festive parade through the forest to the castle where they commenced the rest of their jovial festivities while Evolet and Alarik laughed and smiled to each other, passing love between them that only needed to be conveyed with their eyes.

Afterwards, the King and Queen were deemed in their coronations and left to rule the land and fix what had been broken. Alarik was a wise and humble ruler who sought to unite the Fae and humans while still protecting the Fae and honoring humans. Evolet was a discerning and gentle queen who also sought to protect the Fae and keep harmony with other realms. They reigned as King and Queen for many years, and while they were respected and loved for their wise and great ruling, they were even more respected and loved by each other. Even both Fae and humans could tell that they were so in love. And their love went on to produce many children. The first being a son, Kavan, followed by a daughter, Amorette, then the twins, Evander and Leandar, and finally a little princess, Isla. The legend was continually told among the royal children, and their children, about how two brothers became beasts, but one gained the heart of a woman, and love and forgiveness overcame all.

*****

The booksmith knocked on the door again, still not gaining an answer from inside. He turned, about ready to go, but heard a quick, tiny squeak from the door. He looked back and saw a small crack in the doorway. He pushed it. The door opened freely for him. He entered and noticed the fireplace was bare and the windowsills empty too. The only thing near the fireplace was an old rocking chair and small side table next to it. He walked over to the table, taking out the book from under his arm. He'd knew it was a later than normal, but he'd finally come to return the book Vanadey had needed him to mend.

Strangely, she was no-where to be found. The herbs and florals that hung from the ceiling were not there, and the mortar bowls and bottles were missing from the shelves. He scratched his head and turned to go, but caught a glimmer of light out of the corner of his eye. He turned just barely in time to see what had looked to be like a tiny orb of light disappear around the corner.

He frowned and followed it but saw nothing as he came around around the corner except for a table upon which sat two carved, wooden figurines - the finished products of Vanadey's whittling.

They were intricately carved, both of them, and left for the person who would stumble upon them on day.

One was a beautiful mahogany stag with curved antlers. The other, was a white doe.

The End