Chapter 9

She couldn't register it fast enough. She blinked a few times and shook her head. "W-what?"

Hugo simply nodded his head, a solemn look across his face.

No, Evolet thought. Not Desi.

She stumbled back and clutched her cloak. Her heart constricting until it was a pain she could not bear and she clasped her chest, tear pricking the rim of her eyes.

A wail pierced nearby and Evolet followed it to where the other two prostitutes clung to each other, their sobs and cries echoing the sudden loss of their companion.

She walked over to them.

Iza, the one with short, wavy blonde hair that stuck out at odd angles was holding Jeza – the other prostitute and meanest of them. Her fiery spirit was mirrored in the flaming red of her wild hair. The fierce green of her eyes was currently spilling tears which Evolet was somewhat shocked by and she thought Jeza was not capable of such emotion.

Jeza looked up, the blaze sparking in her eyes. "What do you want?" she asked vehemently. Iza offered her own icy stare.

Evolet bit her tongue. "I'm sorry about Desi."

"Like you care. You're the reason she's dead."

Evolet gawked. "Excuse me?"

"You just had to turn him down didn't you?"

Evolet knew she could only mean Theron.

Jeza continued with her vehement accusation. "You had to turn him away which led him to heartbreak. And of course, Desi was so soft, poor pitiful thing. So she offered herself to him. But he refused."

Evolet felt her insides squirm.

"Although, he still showed affection to her. Made her feel special. But when you rejected him, he left Desi and practically discarded as if she were suddenly nothing to him. I saw her with him early this morning. I bet after he had probably rejected her again, she had fled to the Forest for solace only to result in her death. Are you happy?"

"How dare you! I am not at fault!" Evolet balled her fists. "She was my friend-"

"Pitiful as she was pretty and knew she was while you squander away your beauty."

"I miss her too! She was a great person, more than can be said of you."

"I know what I am. I'm not ashamed. But do you know what you are?" Are you proud of your living as a witch?"

"I'm not a witch. Making herbal medicine is helpful. You would know since you took some tonics not long ago to rid yourself of a mistake..." Evolet gave a knowing stare.

Jeza snorted. "Still, I am not ashamed. But you should be. Your beauty is poison. You had Theron in your grasp and instead you turned him away! And it results in Desi's heartbreak and running to her death." Jeza began wailing again.

"I am sorry she's gone," Evolet said again.

"I think it's time we go," Iza said, patting the top of Jeza's scarlet head. She hooked an arm into hers and together, leaning on each other, made their way back toward the tavern.

Evolet realized she was holding her breath and let it out slowly, gently relaxing the taut muscles in her arms and curled fingers.

"How could this have happened?" A woman called out, crossing her arms around her frame.

"This couldn't have been a person, look at the marks," a man pointed. Not many wanted to look upon the mangled body, but those who did could see puncture wounds and scratches.