Chapter 14

Outside, the sun hadn't yet breached the horizon, but the gray light told of its imminent appearance. Evolet and Theron stumbled outside into the entrance yard which was a sad, choked, and decrepit garden. A gravel path led from the forest up ahead to the grand door through which they had exited. On each side of the gravel path were stretches of dehydrated dirt which dried and crippled plants were rooted in. Even the tiny trees that were growing in the vast, empty garden were bare and pallor in color. It appeared the whole area and castle had all been abandoned and left uncared for years.

The path became a circle at the entrance which preceded a small set of stairs before yielding to the large oak doors of the castle. Theron began pulling Evolet down the stairs and toward the path that lead to the forest.

"Wait," she began resisting.

"What?" Theron said impatiently.

"How can this be? How did you know to look here? I never even knew of this place?"

"Well exactly," Theron began, stopping to face her. "I just figured I'd search in areas that a beast wouldn't think anyone would come looking."

"Is there anyone else here?"

"No. Just me."

"Oh," Evolet responded. "Well thank you."

"Do you see now?"

Evolet dawned a quizzical expression.

Theron crossed his arms. "I searched for you and I rescued you because I still love you. If you would-"

"Theron-"

"No, let me finish! If you would just give me your love, you would see all that I can give you."

"Theron, please, you have to understand, I'm not..."

"What?" Theron grabbed her.

"Ouch, Theron."

"Just love me!"

"Theron, please stop!" She began struggling with him.

"Just give me your heart and love!"

"Leave her alone!"

Theron and Evolet immediately froze and turned toward the voice at the line of trees ahead.

Evolet's heart soared.

The stag.

He was still wounded, and his legs were widely planted to give him better support, but his head was held high with his antlers partly lowered.

"You," Theron hissed, his eyes glazing over. He pushed Evolet aside, oblivious to her at the moment.

Evolet hissed when she hit the ground, her hands feeling the bites of the gravel. She turned toward the stag and felt joy, but it was quickly eclipsed by worry as Theron took a step toward the animal.

"I have been looking for you for a long time." His eyes blazed as they latched on the stag who still held his head high. "And now here you are."

"Leave her alone," the stag said with a resounding voice. "Your deal is with me."

"Ah, for now. But she's the one." Theron glimpsed at Evolet lying on the ground before bringing his gaze back to the stag. "You thought you were going to get out of this before me."

"Fate would play out the way it was meant to be."

Theron reached down and yanked Evolet up and pulled her against to him. She yelped in pain. "She's going to be for me only!"

"No, you know this can't be the way."

"No, I know what I deserve, and you are just are in my way."

Evolet was thrown to the ground again by Theron. She caught herself and bit once more at the stinging in her palms. When she looked back at Theron who had removed his gloves, Evolet noticed his hands were black and black tendrils were entwining up his arms.

"You won't be in my way anymore," Theron hissed. Then, he hunched over, a dark haze beginning to surround him until it enshrouded him. Within the haze, the dark outline of his form shifted from a man to a large being, a grotesque form with a bulky outline. In a sudden whip of wind, the haze dispersed and before Evolet was the monster of the forest – the monster that had captured her and carried her away. Evolet felt her stomach drop.

The beast opened its mouth and released a terrible roar, his wings opening and creating an intimidating stance. The stag was stonewall. He planted his front legs widely and lowered his head of proud antlers, the tips gleaming.

Failing to stifle her cry, Evolet, frozen in place, watched as the beast and stag charged each other. The beast led the offense as the stag defended himself, ducking and maneuvering around the beast's clamping maw and swiping of its claws. The stag managed to sink his antlers into the beast's backhide. Evolet let out a cry of victory, but it quickly turned into a gasp when the stag was caught by a swing of the monster's claws. It staggered back and tried to re-focus on its stance, but was blindsided again by another catch of the monster and was sent sliding across the gravel.

Evolet held her breath. Get up, she prayed internally.

The stag lifted its head and watched as the beast turned on him. It took a step, then became enshrouded in a dark haze. Theron stepped out from within, but only half his human self. His hands were still shaped into claws, and fangs poked from his lips. His eyes appeared to burn with a frenzy.

"Give up," Theron snarled.

"No, even if you do end me, you won't have what it is you need."

"And how do you know?"

"You can not force her heart!"

"Oh can't I, brother?"

Evolet's breath caught. What?

Theron looked at her, a tiny quirk at the corner of his sneer. "Did you ever hear the tale of the two brothers?"