Gentle

Lily hadn't said a word in the past ten minutes as Tommy drove them to her hotel. From the corner of his eye he could see she was deep in thought and he wished he knew what she was thinking about.

Maybe he just needed to get it out, just tell her everything and let the cards fall where they may. Even just allowing himself to think about it had him feeling uncomfortable.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked, suddenly breaking the silence between them.

Tommy cleared his throat "About my plans for Billy Kimber" he lied as he looked out the window.

"The man that owns all the race tracks in the country ?" She gasped.

"That's the man" he mumbled.

Lily looked at him like he had grown three heads and he could of laughed. Instead he was suddenly remembering all the things he had to do to ensure his plan went ahead.

"You're going to take it over aren't you?" She asked softly, her hand hovering over her mouth in shock.

"Yes, in a few weeks time I'll own everything" and he shrugged, not a care in the world for Kimber or his empire that he had built. Tommy respected Kimber for what he had achieved but now it was his. May the best man win.

"You're crazy! Tommy, he'll kill you. Mr Kimber has a reputation for being unforgiving"

Tommy scoffed "You're lack of faith in me is showing  Miss Adler"

Lily scowled at him, aware of his deflection but decided to counter it "Your lack of sense is showing Mr Shelby"

"Are you worried about me?" He asked coyly, knowing that she would blush and turn away from him. Lily didn't disappoint.

—-

Lily was at her desk before anyone else on Monday morning. Since her Saturday with Tommy she had been struggling to sleep and she hoped that burying herself in work would help.

Michael was the first person she saw that morning and she knew by the look on his face that he wanted to speak to her. Making her a tea he gently placed it down on her desk and bought a chair up.

"Morning Lily" he mumbled, feeling sorry for himself.

"Hello" she replied politely, not removing her eyes from her work.

Michael sighed and leaned back into his chair, rubbing his eyes in frustration "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. They where just having a laugh and I didn't think anything of it"

"Your friends are disgusting" she snapped, her eyes finally leaving the paper and meeting his.

Michael faltered under her gaze and she suddenly felt proud that she had that much power over him.

"I can't argue with that. I'm sorry okay? Do you forgive me?" He pleaded with big brown puppy eyes.

Picking up her tea she took a sip and thought about it. Lily didn't have it in her to be mad at him, even if his apology was weak.

"I'll forgive you this time" she mused with a small smile.

Clapping his hands together he leaned forward ready to move on from his indiscretion as soon as possible. Michael had been aware all weekend that Tommy had taken Lily out and he wanted to place as much distance between them as he could.

"Did Tommy tell you about the race this weekend?" He asked as he picked fluff off his suit trousers.

Lily squinted her eyes in confusion "No, we went to look at a new office"