Flames

Lily rounded on Tommy as soon as they stepped out of the building.

"I'm sorry!" She breathed as she clutched her file "I saw an opportunity and I took it" she cried as she looked at him, waiting for him to explode.

Tommy smirked as he opened the car door and pointed for her to get in.  Lily quickly did as she was told, the whole time nervously looking at him.

As soon as he got in he turned to her, his big blue eyes freezing her to the seat.

"He's been stealing off your family for how long?" He asked as he slipped the key into the ignition, his eyes firmly on her. It was impressive.

"4 years" she breathed before she bit her lip and looked away from his intense stare.

"How much did he take?"

"Forty thousand pounds" and she suddenly felt less guilty about what she had just done. The worthless cretin had deserved more, deserved his face-

"He deserved a lot more than what you gave him in there" Tommy chided "but five thousand pounds for me to just sit there?"

And he looked over at her with a cold look that demanded an answer. Lily rolled her eyes and looked away and silently thanked the gods above that he was pulling away the car.

"Once he sends that money he's associated with you Mr Shelby. If he comes for me I'll ensure every associate of his is aware of the transaction"

Tommy had guessed as much and he was impressed with her forward thinking. A man like Harris having any tie to the Shelby's was social suicide.

"Are you mad?" She asked.

Tommy looked out into the road before him and was grateful she was still looking out the window. Mad? He was far from mad. Surprised? Yes. Impressed? Yes.

"Why would I be mad? You're finally showing that you aren't just a little mouse Miss Adler"

"I'm good with numbers is all" she replied back, her hands stroking the file.

"And manipulation"

Lily turned to quickly to face Tommy that she instantly felt dizzy. It was a brash accusation even from him.

"Excuse me?" She squeaked.

Tommy smirked and began to light up a cigarette and opened the window slightly. Lily was so unaware of herself and he wanted to explore her more.

"You manipulated me in that situation. You also lured that poor man into a false sense of security by making him think you where there to clear your fathers account"

Lily glared his way as she tried to think of a counter argument and he enjoyed watching her get angry. Lily would furrow her brow when she was angry with him and a little triangle would form in between her eyes.

"I can't say I'm sorry" she blurted out "You didn't walk out empty handed and he got what he deserved. I'm only manipulative when it's required"

"You're also a murderer"

Tommy had gone too far and he saw it as hurt flashed across her beautiful face. Lily was clearly remembering last night when she saved his life. It was a callous move but in his way he was trying to show her that she wasn't that different to him.

Lily opened her mouth to say something but decided against it. It was the control he saw again and he wondered at what age she had learned this coping mechanism. Instead she turned her whole body from him and waited for the journey to be over.

—-

As Tommy stopped the car outside he watched as she quickly got out of the car and stormed her way into the house, not bothering to greet Arthur as she did so.