It's Me

Lily had taken a seat at the small table in the room and waited patiently for Arthur to return. Nervous was an understatement. Polly would be the first person she had spoken to about her findings and she wasn't sure what she was going to say.

Huffing she took her bag off her lap and placed it on the table. The folders peaking out slightly. Lily closed her eyes and tried to focus. The information that they held could wait a few more minutes.

Before she could calm her nerves the door to the room slammed open and hit the wall with a loud bang. Lily looked up to see an older woman with brilliantly large eyes and curly brown hair glaring down at her.

"Who the fuck are you?" She growled.

Lily quickly stood up, completely caught off guard.

"Miss Gray I'm Lily-" but Lily didn't have time to finish her sentence as Polly Gray had her pinned against the wall with a hair pin to her throat.

"I don't know you" and the pin pressed a little more into her neck.

Lily fought the urge to squirm against Polly's touch and tried to focus her attention on getting the woman to listen.

"Miss Gray I'm not here to cause trouble" she squeaked, her big green eyes begging the lady to stop.

"Then what are you here for?"

"I'm here to talk to you about your children that where taken"

And as if Lily had electrocuted Polly the pin fell from her hand and landed between them. Polly's brown eyes began to swell with questions but she turned quickly and slammed the door. Shutting both women in the room.

"Miss Gray" Lily started as she rubbed her neck "I'm sorry that I've upset you. I just need to speak to you about this"

"My son is here with me. My daughter died" and she took one step closer which made Lily flinch.

"Yes but don't you want to know why they took them Miss Gray?" Lily pleaded with her hands open to show that she wasn't a threat.

"Who are you?" She demanded as she shoved Lily into a chair by her shoulders.

The action was uncomfortable to Lily but she went along, afraid that any moment she would be on the receiving end of another outburst.

"My name is Lily Adler. Formerly known as Lily James. I was taken the same night as your children Miss Gray"

—-

Polly hadn't said a word in five minutes and Lily was beginning to worry. The woman in front of her was incredibly intimidating. It was clear that she had a hard life just by the way she used her presence to make you cower. It was a deflection.

"Miss Gray?" Lily pressed on.

"What do you want?"

"I need your help. You're the only person who is linked to all of this"

Polly leaned forward and stared into Lily's eyes as if she was searching for more secrets there.

"What do you know?"

Lily sighed with relief and began opening up her files but Polly reached out a hand and stopped her.

"Not here" she hissed. "Come with me"

—-

Polly had walked Lily back to a small terraced house. As soon as Lily walked in she felt the warmth of the fire on her face. It would of calmed her in normal circumstances but today she had walked into a strangers house and there was nothing normal about that.