Chapter 5

The electric bell trills through the school for the fourth time today, bringing our group out of our trance, making us aware that we’d just missed two classes.

And like I had said earlier – the time gained by skipping classes has never been a happy one for me.

As students start to trickle into the hallways once again, I finally force myself back into the real world and start walking around the empty classroom we’ve locked ourselves in, slightly jostling everyone’s shoulders to make them wake up from their daydream.

Or rather, day nightmare.

Paris is the first to regain control. Swinging her backpack over one shoulder and zipping up her black boots, she stands up and strides to the door, pushing away the desk we had used to block the door with one powerful shove.

Then she holds the door wide open and turns back, staring each one of us in the eye.

I grab my things next and go hold the other one open, and slowly everyone else reluctantly makes their way out of the room.

Paris and I are still holding the door as all of our group files out, and when I look at her I see that she is mouthing a countdown from 5 to 1, and at one, I pull my hand back from the door at the exact same moment as she does, and then we both whip around and walk away, the doors pounding shut behind us after a second.

Outside the classroom, it feels like we’ve stepped back into the reality.

It feels like the time that had slowed down in there was rushing past us now to keep up with its schedule.

It felt like being slapped with the cold hard truth –

That time doesn’t stop for anyone.

Trailing my eyes along the hallway and onto Jackson’s picture, I realize one more truth

People don’t stop for anyone either.

“What class do you have now? “ Jacen’s voice brings me out of my stupor.

“Chemistry. “ I answer with a weak smile before I turn and walk away from him.

I know it was probably wrong of me to do so. I know I should’ve asked what class he had. I know I should’ve smiled at whatever his answer was and should’ve shot comforting glances at him while he walked me to mine.

But all through these thoughts my mind is asking me why? Why should I have comforted him? Why should I have let him walk me to class?

We weren’t now what we were two years ago, and that was not my fault.

When this twisted tale creeped its way back into our lives seeking comfort in his presence was the easiest thing to do.

But now that I am out of denial and seeing the dangers for what they are, I don’t want that comfort.

Not because he’ll take it away.

But because he won’t.

And I won’t.

And when the circumstances screw us over again like they did two years back, I’ll be left beating myself again, thinking if it would’ve hurt less if one of us had been done before fate happened.

I feel guilty, but not too much.

Because Jacen didn’t walk to me when I left, because I know that he’s thinking along the same lines.