37

Soana sat herself against the side of the wall with Toph as Aang, Sokka, Katara, and Sueh kept guard

Soana sat herself against the side of the wall with Toph as Aang, Sokka, Katara, and Sueh kept guard. Zuko approached them once he got to the same temple as they were.

His eyes went to Soana who had been trying to cough up the dirt she had inhaled from the explosions.

The princess felt his eyes on her as she narrowed her eyes. "Out of all the assassins in the country you had to pick the one who could blow stuff up with his mind."

He frowned and stopped in his place in front of Aang and them.
"I'm sorry."

She sighed and leaned her head against the wall, feeling the dirt and dust cloud her airway.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but thanks, Zuko." Aang said, clearly rattled by the words he spoke.

Sokka cleared his throat.
"Hey, and what about me? I did the boomerang thing."

Zuko snapped his head to Aang and ignored Sokka.
"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the past few years and it's been hard, but I'm realizing that I had to go through all of those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honor and that somehow my father could return it to me, but with help of certain people," He quickly glanced at his wife.

"I know now that no one can give you your honor. It's something you earn for yourself by choosing to do what's right. All I want now is to play my part in ending this war, and I know my destiny is to help restore balance to the world."

Zuko bowed to Toph, frowning.
"I'm sorry for what I did to you. It was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild, so as a fire bender I need to be careful and control my bending so I don't hurt people unintentionally."

Aang's face softened as he took a moment to think.
"I think you are suppose to be my fire bending teacher. When I first learned fire bending I burned Katara, and after that, I never wanted to fire bend again, but now I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love. I'd like you to teach me."

The Avatar bowed to Zuko as he bowed back.
"Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group."

"Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them." Aang said then turned to Toph and the princess.

"Toph, Soana, you're the ones Zuko had burned. What do you think?"

Toph shrugged.
"Let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet."

"Soana?" Aang asked.

She released a short, wheezy breath.
"I'm with Toph. Let him join so when I'm better I could kick the crap out of him."

Zuko dry swallowed as Aang looked to Sueh and Sokka.
"Guys?"

Sokka shrugged.
"Hey, all I want to do is to defeat the Fire Lord. If you think this is the way, then I'm all for it."

"Not a fan, but I'll tolerate him." Sueh answered.

Aang nodded then drew his attention to the last person.
"Katara?"

She glared at Zuko then averted her gaze to Aang.
"I'll go along with whatever you think is right."

Zuko grinned and started walking towards the group.
"I won't let you down. I promise."

Everyone including Soana dispersed to go about their day like normal. Soana branched off and went to her room where she stuck her head out the window and hacked up brown, gritty mucus from her lungs.

As she did, she heard Sokka's voice stammering outside of her bedroom.
"This is your room... unpack... lunch soon...uh, welcome aboard?"

"Sokka," Soana grumbled, turning around to see Zuko standing in the middle of her room with a knapsack over his shoulder.

"He left." Zuko replied.

She rolled her eyes.
"Figures,"

Zuko sent a soft smile at Soana as she awkwardly stood.
"You never told me you sent an assassin."

"I'm sorry." He said.

"I could've died trying to save them."

"But you didn't."

"Yes, but I could've. Dying is possible."

"You're too strong to be afraid of death, Soana." He laid his knapsack on the bed and began unpacking.

"What are you doing?" She questioned.

He chuckled.
"Sokka gave me this room since we're husband and wife."

"There are plenty of other rooms to chose from. What makes anyone think we have to share a room?"

"Because we're married. That, and I like to annoy you. You're absolutely adorable when you're mad. You know?"

She scoffed and tried to walk out of the room but he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards him.
"I've missed you."

Finally feeling his touch on her skin made her anger disappear immediately.

She sighed.
"I've missed you too."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled each other into their embrace. Zuko held her waist tightly, taking in her musty, smoky scent.

She grinned and let her hands play with his long hair before she wielded her hand back and smack the side of his head with her palm.

"Ouch! What was that for!" He said abruptly with wide eyes.

"That was for branching off from me and Reid at the last second. I had a heck of a time trying to fight off those warriors by myself."

"Okay! I'm sorry!" Zuko said.

"I know you are." She smirked.

He sighed.
"I think everything was worth it though. You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because even through all of our disputes and long nights, I finally got you to admit you love me."

Her eyes went wide.
"I only said that to get you on everyone's good side."

"Then how come Toph said you were telling the truth? She can feel when people are speaking the truth or not."

Soana felt the heat rising to her cheeks.
"Unpack, now!" She said, flustered.

She pulled herself out of Zuko's arms and turned to walk away.
"I'm going to practicing my bending since I have nothing else to do."