1

Soana had been around every corridor and part of the city trying to avoid her suitor. After she completely humiliated him in front of her family and his uncle, she didn't want to face him ever again. In fact, she had a plan brewing. An escape she was willing to make work.

In the courtyard, Soana had her hands tucked in the arms of her parka as she strolled along the ice-carved sidewalk. It was peaceful until she heard a voice startle her from her blissful stroll.

"Princess!" She heard a deep voice call for her, breaking her from her peaceful stride.

She knew the voice belong to no one other than the prince, so she kept walking until she saw him run past her and slide clumsily on the ice. She stopped and stared at Zuko who was acting as a mere fool.

The prince caught himself and stood tall after his mistake of running on an ice walkway. By the way he was so determined to talk to her made Soana's heart flutter until she saw the stern gaze his golden irises were giving her.

She gulped her strength and attempted to hold her head high.

"What do you want, Prince Zuko? Perhaps to burn me, or hold me against my will? Better yet, a ransom to send to my father demanding more men in exchange for my life."

Soana narrowed her eyes at the prince who seemed to be stunned by her harsh words.

"No!" He stammered, irritated with the way she was acting towards him.

He sighed, making steam blow out of his mouth from the cold air.

"Can't you see I'm trying to make this work!" He angrily said.

"Make what work? You're attitude? It's obvious you're not having any effect on it."

He narrowed his eyes back at her.

"That's not what I'm talking about. I meant our engagement. We're to be married for the sake of your tribe and my nation, but you're too selfish to care about their safety."

"I care for my people more than you know. I'm willing to do anything for them. Even marry someone like you."

Zuko felt taken aback as she walked around him and entered the foyer of the palace.

"What does that supposed to mean!"

Zuko's voice echoed through the foyer, making Soana stop and turn to face him once again. He stood his ground as she stood a foot away and sneered.

"You're arrogant and full of rage. You're sour to the core, and I do not pity you for a second even if that scar on your face makes anyone weep for you. You deserved that burn on your face. Whatever you've done to get it has me wondering if I really want this engagement to proceed or not."

She attempted to turn away from him again, but Zuko grabbed her by the sleeve of her parka and brought her close to him. So close that their chests were touching.

"If we're going to spend the rest of our lives together, I suggest you never say that ever again. You're lucky I don't burn your beautiful face or that pretty hair of yours off."

Soana heard footsteps coming into the foyer. In the corner of her eye, she noticed that it was the stable boy who trimmed the wooly pigs occasionally. A glimmer of light reflected off of a pair of shears in his pocket which made Soana rip her hand from Zuko's and back away.

"You think my hair is pretty, huh?"

Zuko was silent but stared at her rib cage-length hair. He nodded almost shamefully.

"Boy!" Soana turned and said to the preteen.

The stable boy turned to her and bowed.

"Yes, Princess Soana?"

"May I see those shears in your pocket?"

The stable boy nodded and fished them out of his pocket as Zuko watch confused and irritated.

He handed the shears to the princess, and she took the opportunity to examine the metal.

"How sharp would you say these shears are?"

Zuko's fists clenched, and his nose scrunched.

"What is the meaning of this!"

The stable boy straightened his posture and grinned subtly at the princess, ignoring the Fire Nation prince who had looks that killed.

"Very sharp, Princess. I had to grind the blades this morning at dawn."

Soana hummed and glance at Zuko who finally pieced together the puzzle. Every muscle in his face and body weakened when he saw the glimmer in her eyes.

"Soana," He reached his hand out to stop her.

Soana noticed Zuko's change in the face that became washed over with astonishment. Within a split second, Soana grabbed a braid in her hair and cut it off at the base of her neck. She continued with the rest of the braids until she had her wavy brunette hair falling freely in her hand with some falling on the floor and the edges of her dress.

Her hair was now a short choppy haircut instead of long locks and braids entangled together.

Soana looked at the hair in her palms and gave the shears back to the stable boy.

"Thank you. As you were." She gestured to the outside where she came from.

As the stable boy left in shock, Soana looked to Zuko who had his jaw dropped to the floor.

The princess took a stride towards her suitor.

"Since my hair is so pretty, take it. Just like you and your nation take everything else."

With that, she threw her hair at Zuko's feet and ran up the stairs to go to her bedroom, leaving Zuko in a stunned and slightly furious state.

Later that day, Soana was summoned to the throne room where her father confronted her about her actions. No advisors were present since it was supposed to be just a father-daughter talk.

"You cut off your hair!" Arnook exclaimed, looking at his eldest child.

The princess sighed but didn't speak.

"Soana, why would you do such a thing? If your mother could see you now, she would be furious!"

Soana cocked her head and explained innocently.

"He liked my hair, father. I figured he wanted it just like his nation wants to take everything else we have."

Arnook took a deep sigh and shook his head.

"I understand how you feel about this. I'm just as upset as you are, but this marriage is for the sake of our people. Like it or not, you will marry Zuko for the trust of the fire nation. We need less of them patrolling our waters so we can establish peace."

Soana continued to stay silent, but she nodded her head. She understood her father completely, but that didn't mean that option could be weighed on just her.

"Just treat him how you would want to be treated, Soana. He is a person as well."

"But he killed everyone! He killed Niko, father!"

"Enough, Soana!"

Arnook's voice echoed through the spacious room.

"Zuko never killed anyone or gave any orders. If anyone killed your last suitor, it was Fire lord Ozai! His patrolmen murdered him! I'm tired of this foolishness coming from someone who used to be so wise and compassionate!"

Soana chewed on her bottom lip and felt the crushing of her heart when she heard her father yell at her.

"May I be dismissed now?"

Arnook paused for a second then nodded.

"You may."