3

In the foyer, Soana was battling with herself. She contemplated whether or not to just cancel the date to avoid talking to Zuko, but she only dug herself a hole that was getting deeper with more time she let pass.

She sighed, moving a piece of her short hair away from her eyes.

She hummed a tune nervously as she stared at the view of her city with the lights shining in her citizen's houses like a beacon in the night. She did know that this was going to be her last time looking at the city from her palace. In a matter of two days, her plan will act, and she would be away from her problems for good.

"Soana," She heard Zuko.

She turned and saw him entering the foyer through one of the archways.

Zuko seemed stunned to see her in a dress with more length rather than thick pants and a tunic. He took in her short hair that looked to be more blended out than it did a few days prior to when she cut it.

"You look great." He complimented, stuttering.

The princess coyly grinned with heat rising to her cheeks.
"Thanks."

He cleared his throat and offered his arm to her. Although she was telling herself not to go near him or to touch him, she accepted his arm as she took a deep breath and remembered Arnook's words.

The two began to walk out of the foyer and towards the water canals where a boat idled in the water for them.

A lantern was lit on both ends of the boat to make the night visible. She grinned softly at the sight before Zuko led her to the boat and let her in to sit facing the bow.

"Where's the bender who moves the boat?"

Zuko jumped in and sat across from her.
"I figured I could give a try at rowing."

Soana shook her head.
"I don't think that would be possible in a canal this narrow."

Zuko glared at her and grabbed the oar handles on both sides of him.
"One can try."

Soana crossed her arms and watched in amusement when Zuko couldn't move the oars into the water as they scraped and grind against the iced walls.

He grunted and grumbled under his breath until Soana started laughing suddenly.

"Why are you laughing at me!" Zuko seethed at her, but she didn't stop.

"You're very amusing." She laughed and stood up.
"I told you. Rowing in a canal this narrow doesn't work."

She lifted her dress and stepped over the benches until she reached the bow of the boat.
"What're you doing!"

Soana rolled her eyes and ignored Zuko.

She lifted her hands and pushed them out away from her then pulled them back towards her.

Within a moment, Soana had the boat moving with ease. She pushed and pulled the water over and over until Zuko spoke.

"I knew this was a stupid idea." He muttered, mentally kicking himself.

Soana heard him fighting and gave him her attention.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. No wonder why you act like such a jerk. You degrade yourself."

Zuko huffed angrily.
"I am not a jerk! You're just irritating!"

"Whatever, Zuko." She muttered, continuing the motion of pushing and pulling.

Silence dwelled, making Zuko's anger simmer down with time. After calming himself slightly, he watched the princess bend the water easily, wondering how a princess like herself could possess the ability to bend water when her sister was a nonbender.