Chapter Three

Author's Note: Enjoy, this onne is juicy! (: 

~~~

Chapter Three: The Night of Too Many Nightmares

It was in the middle of the night when  I woke up to movement in the kitchen. At first I thought my Aunt Kim was making herself a midnight snack, but there was too much noise for just a snack. I snuck out of my room, tip toeing towards the kitchen. The moon spread a light across the wooden floors of the living room. Just like the first day I had come. When I set my foot down a creak erupted from underneath my bare foot. I froze, my blood turning into ice. But when the shifting in the kitchen didn’t reside, I kept sneaking.

I peeked from behind the wall that separated the kitchen and living room and I thought my eyes couldn’t get any larger. I stepped back and gasped for air, losing any feelings in my fingertips. All over the walls was blood. Dripping and splattered, designing a gruesome scene. When I turned to the large window I screamed. I screamed so long and hard I passed out. I don’t remember passing out. I just remember the words written on the window: Look in the shed, Reagan

It was the summer before I went to Shiny Meadows. It was the summer where Callie and I were inseparable. We were in the backyard swinging on the swing set. Callie had her hair up in a hat, shoving all of her hair inside, giving off the impression she was bald. 

“Reagan, will you miss me?” she asked. I looked over at the swinging Callie. Her voice had become sad and lonesome.

“What are you talking about, Callie?” I asked, stopping the swing with my feet. 

“When I leave,” she said, stopping her swing as well.

“Yeah! But you’re coming back next holiday, remember?” I said, looking at her sideways. She started to grab the sand with her toes.

“No. Mamma ain’t letting me come back no more.” she cried, tears dripping off her baby face. Even at twelve, Callie still had a round, baby face.

“Why not!” I cried, jumping out of the swing. Callie looked up at me through her tears, then looks away sharply. 

“Mamma won’t tell me why.” That was a lie. I got so mad at Callie that I slapped her. That was the last thing I ever did to her. I didn’t get to hug her or say I was sorry. She ran off to her mom and they never came back. No one would tell me where they went or why they never came back.

I opened my eyes to find everything white and bright. A ringing stayed in my ear. I was in someone’s lap. My hair was being petted. When my vision finally returned I saw my Aunt Kim’s worried face near mine. 

“Oh, baby.” she cried, hugging me close. I didn’t remember passing out. But then with a jolt I remembered the message on the window. I sat up, tossing her hands aside.

“What happened?” I asked, dusting myself off. Aunt Kim looked at me, her eyes wide with tears.

“I woke up to you screaming and I found you passed out on the floor, do you remember what happened?” she asked, standing up. I stood up with her and peeked inside the kitchen to find it clean of any trace of blood.

“No.” I lied, hugging myself. 

“Ok, well you should get to bed. I want to get you out of the house tomorrow.” Aunt Kim confessed, dragging her fingers through her hair.

“Where to?” I asked. She raised her finger up to her mouth.

“It’s a secret.” Then she walked off to her room. I stand there still thinking about her last words. On my way to my room I peeked inside of Callie’s room to find it empty. I puzzled over this then left to my own room to crash into Callie herself. 

“Hey!” I hiss, holding my forehead as she held hers, wincing. 

“Sorry!” she hissed back. 

“What are you doing in here?” I ask, the pain of our collision fading.

“I can’t sleep.” she says, twiddling her thumbs.

“So you want to sleep with me in my bed?” I ask, heading to the bed.

“You wouldn’t mind?” she asked, whipping her hair off of her shoulder.

“Only on one condition.” I say sternly, tucking myself in the bed, “Tell me what the secret is.” 

Callie looked back at me through glassy eyes, then reality snapped. She nodded her head then came to the other side of the bed to crawl in. After we were both comfortable, Callie took a big breath and began: 

“Two weeks before you left to go to that ward, my mother got into a huge argument with your parents. I mean there was fists flying and hair pulled. You remember that, right?” When I shook my head, she looked away, “Well, after the next two weeks of back and forth arguing, my mother wanted to solve the problem herself. She wanted to solve it with a knife.” 

My eye widening and my breath catching in my throat.

“Stop lying, Callie!” I whisper, turning away from her, infuriated. 

“Reagan, it’s the truth. She drug me with her. She gutted them like a fish! She made me help her cut their body into chunks. I can’t sleep without having a nightmare about it. That’s why she hates me, because I told her I would tell you once you got here. Although she threatened to kill me herself, I refused to let her gain your trust and love when she did something so awful she should die a million times.” Callie whispered into my ear, tears slid down my cheeks. I turned around and hugged Callie and I cried into her shoulder.

“We need to tell the police.” I choke out. Callie pulls back.

“No. The police won’t do anything. I already made a report, but they took it as a joke and said they would get around to doing an investigation. That was seven months ago.” Callie said, tears starting to form in her eyes.

“I’m sorry Callie. I’m sorry she made you do that. But we need to stop her! What if we’re next?” I asked, panicking. 

“You wont. If anyone will be next, it’ll be me, but I doubt she would even do that since you’d kind of know that I was gone.” Callie said, her lips forming a frown. 

“What we’re our parents arguing about anyways?” I asked, pushing aside the thought of my Aunt Kim stabbing me.

“About you. Your mother and father didn’t want you to come see us, so my mother thought she could fix that by killing them you’d be all hers.” Callie said, holding my hands. 

“I can’t believe this!” I shriek. More tears sliding down my face.

“I’m sorry, Reagan.” she said, hugging my neck. More tears rolled down my cheek.

“I want to kill her.” I said, my fear and sorrow turning into anger quickly. I felt Callie smile on my shoulder.

“We’ll do it together. We used to do everything together once, remember?” I nodded my head, but the only thought on my mind was what my Aunt Kim’s body would look like after I was done with it. 

~~~

Author's Note: My inspiration is officially back! Thanks to you all! Love and thanks! Comment and vote, and fannn! love and thanks! <3