Chapter Two

Author's Note: I have no idea where everyone is getting that CALLIE'S (Reagan's cousin) name is CASSIE. Noo. Callie is not Cassie. I have no idea who Cassie is...(: anyways, hope you enjoy. 

~~~

Chapter Two: What’s The Big Secret? 

I lazed around the house, waiting for Callie to return after I left her at the beach, but she never did. My Aunt Kim left to go to  the store when I started thinking about Callie’s warning. Why shouldn’t I trust her? I got up from the couch to stand in front of the master bedroom. Something doesn’t feel right. I turned the doorknob to find it still locked. Why is her door locked? I go look through the drawers in the kitchen, to come up empty. She must have the keys. 

While I was looking through a small case I found a key tied to a satin ribbon, just as I found it  the door opened and closed. I froze. 

“What are you doing?” I heard my aunt’s voice. She had been shuffling some bags in her hands. I stepped back from the case, I looked at her. 

“Nothing.” I said, putting my hands behind my back to hide the key. She looked at me through narrowed eyes, her warm side fading away.

“Come help with the groceries.” she said, going back out to the car. I slipped the key into my pocket and picked up the bags she set down on the ground and brought them to the kitchen. Just before I set them down, a rat scampered away frantically, holding something in his mouth that looked a lot like jewelry. I set down the bags on the island and rushed after the rat. Whatever it had, it dropped. I picked it up. They were earrings and they were strangely familiar. The earring was dirty and had rust building up. I set the earring in my pocket along with the key and returned to the groceries.

I dug my hand into my pocket, grasping the key with the ribbon. My Aunt was out in the garden planting some type of pansy. I was standing in front of her room, debating whether or not it was smart enough to actually go inside with my aunt only a few yards away. 

“She always keeps it locked.” I heard Callie’s voice from the entrance of the hallway.

“I have the key,” I said, flaunting it. Her eyes widen. She grabs it from me and rams the key into the door and turned it. A click erupted, signaling us it was unlocked. 

“Open sesame.” Callie whispered, swinging the door open. Inside was a large, four poster King sized bed in the center. Her vanity held many open jewelry boxes with loose accessories spread across. Callie picked up a necklace with a locket. She opened it to frown and close it before setting it inside her pocket.

“What was it?” I asked, reaching at her pocket, but before I could, she turned away.

“None of your business.” she hissed, turning her attention to the open diary on her desk, “Look! Apparently my mother is a little girl at heart. She has a diary.” Callie picked it up to leaf through the pages. 

“What does it say?”  I ask peeking over her shoulder.

“Just a lot of plant talk. “The garden is doing well today I guess the new fertilizer is doing wonders.” Wow. She is so boring. I guess she knows better to not write about her dirty secrets in this.” Callie said, flinging the diary back onto the desk.

“What secrets?!” I demanded, tired of her hints. But as before, she only left. As she turned out of the hallway I ran after her, to find she was no longer there. I locked the room back up while my aunt was still out in the garden. 

“Aunt Kim,” I said, walking outside to where she was squatting at, hacking at weeds.

“Yes, baby?” she asked, looking up at me.

“While I was putting away the groceries, I found this.” I said, taking the earring out. The earring shone brightly in the afternoon’s sun, despite it’s rusted exterior.

“Where did you find this?” she asked sternly, grabbing it from me, to squint closely at it.

“Uhm, on the floor in the dining room.” I decided to leave out the part where a rat had it, not really wanting her to freak over her rodent infestation. She narrowed her eyes at me like she did last night. She put the earrings back into her pockets and turned swiftly away from me to walk briskly to the shed in the far corner of the backyard. 

“Go inside, baby, I don’t want you getting a cold,” she called out, before unlocking the shed door. I nodded and ran off inside, even though it was at least eighty degrees outside. I peek out from a window to see what she was doing in the run down shed. The walls had chipped paint and vines overgrew it, making it look more like a decoration more then an actual used tool shed. I couldn’t hear much from inside, but I could hear a lot of movement. I could hear rattling and shuffled footsteps, when Aunt Kim finally stepped out, she immediately caught my eye and stared at me in pure anger. I ducked down quickly, waiting for her to run into the house to scold me for spying on her, but she never did. I looked up to look through the window to find the backyard empty. I sank to the floor, shaking slightly. What’s in that shed that she didn’t want me to see? Does Callie know and that’s the reason why she hates her? I shake my head, trying to wipe away my thoughts, but the shed haunted me. 

~~~

Author's Note: I don't know about this story anymore...my inspiration for it is kind of dying...lol