Chapter One

Author's Note: Most of these chapters will be short, because I want the suspense to build. (: ENJOY!

~~~

Chapter One: Home, Sweet Home...Or Is It? 

Sitting in the car with Aunt Kim and Callie was extraordinarily awkward. The whole time Aunt Kim would talk to me about life in Shiny Meadows and then she would ask me boring questions about who I met and what was life like over there. I finally pretended to go to sleep, not wanting to be a part of the conversation any longer.

“Reagan. Wake up, baby, we’re here.” I heard a voice. I looked up to see Aunt Kim near my face. I jumped back, surprised. 

“I’m sorry, did I scare you?” she giggled to herself. I looked around to see it was dark outside and we were near water, I could smell the salt. 

“Where are we?” I yawned, stretching. Callie wasn’t in the car any longer.

“Home, baby.” she said, getting out of the car. I looked out of the window to find a house that was cradled by a lake. 

“This is your house?” I asked, getting out of the car behind her, looking up in awe at the house filled with windows.

“Our house.” Aunt Kim corrected me, taking my suitcases out of the SUV. I smiled at her, forgetting about Callie’s warning. I could never imagine Aunt Kim hating her. Maybe she was just angry with Callie for something, “Why don’t you go inside and explore! Your room is the last room in the hallway.” 

I nodded and headed to the house. I stepped up from the pathway and into the house. Inside it was dark with the moon casting an eerie glow. I couldn’t find the lights, so I decided I could see well enough without it. I walked leisurely around the house. The kitchen was clean and smelled like pineapples. The living room looked cluttered, but not messy while the two guest bathrooms were untouched. I started down the hallway. The first room was the master bedroom, it was locked. On the other side was Callie’s room. I peeked inside to find a very pink room. It looked like it belonged to a little girl. I stepped inside. It was cold and smelled of stale air. I walked over to her made bed. A teddy bear sat upright, staring at the wall in front of him. On the desk was a thick layer of dust. I ran my finger through it to bring my finger back to find it completely grey. I puzzled over this, then left the room. The next room was mine. 

Pink curtains hung in front of all of the windows. I found the light switch then flicked it on. A four poster bed was in the corner of the room with a hot pink comforter. Everything in this room was pink, just like Callie’s room, minus the dust and stuffed animals. 

“Do you like it?” My aunt’s voice called. I turned around to find her leaning against the sill of the doorway. 

“It’s very pink.” I swallowed, but forcing a smile on my face anyways.

“You don’t like pink?” her voice dropping, kind of menacing. 

“No! It’s just kind of overwhelming.” I whispered, I heard her breathe heavy.

“But I spent so much time and effort on it.” she spit out through her teeth. I took a step away from her, shocked at her hostility.

“No! It’s beautiful. I’m sure it will grow it on me.” I said, trying to make her happy. Her face lifted then a small smile rose on her lips.

“Good.” she paused to give me a meaningful look, “It better,” Slam. She left without another word. I sat down on my bed, amazed at her sudden anger. 

“She’s like that.” Callie’s voice interrupted my thoughts. I looked up to see her standing in my room, playing with her dull hair.

“You heard?” I asked, not able to look at her straight in her eyes.

“Yeah. Just remember, don’t trust her.” she said, leaving me to ponder. She was right. Aunt Kim sounded like a whole new person. Last time I saw her she was the fun one, always taking me and Callie out while my mother would be the one that would get strict about things. Maybe my parent’s disappearance turned her into a cold person.

By the next morning, Aunt Kim had returned to her normal light-hearted self. Callie was sitting at the table, watching Aunt Kim cook eggs. 

“Good morning, cousin!” Callie said grinning. I smiled back.  

“Morning.” I said, stretching slightly. 

“Oh Reagan don't scare me like that, make some sound before you just come and sneak up on me like that!” Aunt Kim said, looking up for the first time. I looked at Callie, confused. She motioned to her ears, suggesting Aunt Kim had bad hearing. I nodded my head in understanding.

“Uhm, yeah.” 

“Why don’t you go to the beach and hang out while I cook some breakfast? You look so pale, maybe you can get some color out there.” she gleamed, flipping an egg in the pan. I felt a pang of hurt in the pit of my stomach.

“Sure." I turn on my heel and started to stomp towards the front door. 

“I’ll go with,” Callie said, taking my hand to lead me out of the house to the small lake that was actually a beach. 

“Why does Aunt Kim hate you?” I ask, laying in the sand with Callie.

“Because I know something that she doesn’t want me to tell you.” she said, blunt. I guess that was just her style.

“It can’t be that bad. Not to hate her own child.” I say, grabbing handfuls of sand and letting it escape through my fingers.

“It’s bad.” she paused to look up at me, “Really bad.”  

~~~

Author's Note: Comment and/or Vote! (: Fan meh tooooo! Love and Thanks! XD