Chapter Eight

Author's note: enjoy kitties X3 

~~~

Chapter Eight: Panic Mode 

I stood outside of Callie's door, feeling the anger and sadness swell unimaginably large in the pit of my stomach. I swallow my anger for a second and opened the door calmly and found the inside of the room as empty as it was when I looked inside of it on the first day I came here. I walked inside and noticed the line I drew with my finger on the desk was still there with another layer of dust forming on top. I drew in a quick breath and left the room just as quickly as I came in. I closed the door and looked at the chipped, pink letters on the white door. Her name was painted on it in loopy letters. I ran my thumb over the 'C' and some more paint fell off. 

I go to my room and pulled on a bathing suit and a pair of shorts with a tank top and flip flops. I tore out of the house, ignoring the snoozing aunt. I saw Callie out on the deck standing there, ready to dive into the water. I shout out her name before she could jump, but she didn't turn. The wind whipped through her dull hair and sent the grayish blond braid to the left. I screamed her name again, but she continued to ignore my cries. She put her hands up in diving formation and right as she was about to kick off, I threw myself into her back, sending both her and myself into the murky water below.

"Why did you lie to me!?" I gurgle and screamed through the water, she looks at me confused and thrashes away from me. 

"I did no such thing!" she yells back as I propel myself towards her. She kicks me away and I take her foot and drag her to me.

"Then why are you trying to swim away?!" I say menacingly this time, my voice breaking into a cry. She stops for a moment then returns to thrashing. 

"Because you are freaking me out!" I hear her even though I'm practically underwater. I start to sink into the green water, but I never let go of Callie's leg, bringing her down with me. She tries kicking me off, but I keep a death grip on her ankle. I close my eyes, awaiting death for the second time in my life. My lungs burned for air and I could feel myself letting go of reality. My mind then wraps around a lullaby my mother used to sing me. Something about singing trees and whistling daisies. It feels like a black hole is being formed in my head and everything I could hear or think or feel was being dragged into that blackness. 

"Are you CRAZY?!" I hear a voice yell in my ear, but I am too far away to even comprehend the words  completely. 

"Reagan! Wake up!" I hear the voice again, this time in my dreamland, everything starts to shake violently, so I let go and open my eyes to Aunt Kim on top of me trying to preform CPR, but her hands were on my stomach instead of my chest, making my eyes roll back in my head.

"Stop." I moan. She immediately takes her hands off of my midriff. 

"Reagan!" she whimpers and wraps her arms around my neck. I moan again -- I'm so sore. 

"Aunt Kim, did I die?" I ask, feeling my body tingle with invisible needles. Like my whole body fell asleep. 

"I don't know! Probably! I heard screaming from outside and I find you drowning! Baby, what happened?" she asked, helping me sit up. I scan the water's surface to find it undisturbed. 

"I don't remember." I lied. She took me inside and covered me in about a million towels and made me stay away from the lake for the rest of the day, causing me to be stuck inside awkwardly. 

Sitting at the edge of my bed for the whole afternoon was tedious and questionably relaxing. I couldn't really relax without knowing the truth about Aunt Kim and Callie, but sleep kept driving me towards my inner limbo. So I finally let go and drifted off into one of the worst nightmares of my entire life. 

I'm standing outside of the shed again. The door is ajar and that same putrid smell flowed out and filled my nostrils. My stomach twists painfully and I lurch forwards to gag. I feel myself moving forwards to the shed and open the door more. Shadows leak out across the backyard; followed by the smell. I step inside and I'm surrounded by utter darkness. I reach around for a switch and once I find it and flick it on the sight is much worse then I would ever thought it would be in a million years. I'm standing on body chunks, my parents' body chunks. I move my feet and instantly an eye from underneath my foot turns to look squarely at me. I shriek and fall back in the floor of carnage. I scream out but limbs are grabbing me and pulling me deeper in the filth. I claw at anything to pull me out and scream, but my hands catch nothing and flesh fills my mouth. In the midst of this I hear squeaking in the background. The rat. What the hell?!

Then I'm awake. Sitting upright with sweaty hair stuck to my face and my breathing out of sorts. I try to calm myself, but when the squeaking from my dream fills my ears once again I find the rat on my floor on it's hind lags peering up at me. I squeal whilst throwing the bible on my nightstand towards the vermin. It scampers away leaving something on the ground where it was once sitting. I throw my fears away momentarily and scramble to pick up the unknown thing. When I roll over the thing in my hand I notice what it was. A marble. But this marble was different. I remember this marble from a long time ago. Somewhere in the distant, too far to grasp. I slip the thing into my shirt pocket and say a prayer while putting the bible back onto the nightstand. 

I was about to go back to bed when I hear a knock on my door. 

"Reagan?" It's Callie's voice. 

~~~

Author's Note: :DD It feels good to upload again! AND MY FAV STORY! :D EPIC?! Anyways comment:fan:vote! <3 thank you all of my fans out there ! You rock my world! Well I love feedback so please leave me some! :3 thanks, - Niccccco <3