Chapter #13

Chapter 13

~Alitha~

I don't remember much after the explosion of pain in my right shoulder.

What I do remember felt surreal. Whispered words of love. The soothing touch of hands cleaning me while warm water spilled over my skin. The sting, as some type of bandage, was placed over what had been a burning sensation.

Eventually, I fell into slumber. I dreamed of the day I made the greatest mistake of my life. My greed to be tied to someone, anyone, had led me to the source of life. My mother had cautioned me a thousand times to stay away from the murky waters that gave birth to the souls which would eventually be spun into life.

Their destinies woven into a tapestry by the three sisters.

θεούς

"You must end your fascination with this place." The cool voice of her mother had her turning away from the luminescent lake. "Surely, you would do better to spend time with your aunts."

"They are noisy," she said, facing her mother. Artemis was beautiful like the very moon that she ruled. Her dark skin, the color of night, shone from within. Her eyes were a soft grey, her hair white like the stars, with pieces of glittering diamonds brushed through it. She usually wore it in a high ponytail, but today it was braided, her clothing reminiscent of Roman warriors. She'd just returned from the hunt.

"I much rather be here, and play with Seraphina." She smiled at her ankle where a three-year-old nymph leaned against her leg. The creature was made of water and was translucent aside from its blue eyes. "She is far nicer company."

Her mother huffed. Crossing her arms, she glared down at the nymph, causing it to hide behind Alitha. "You need to start acting like the blessed being you are. Your father and I created you, Zeus blessed your existence. You the perfect soul, none could tarnish you." She closed the space between them. "I am so proud of your existence." Her hand settled on Alitha's shoulders, her motherly scent calming her when she pulled her into her arms for a hug. "Do not yearn for a mortal life, my love ... It is painful and unending."

θεούς

I wished I had listened to her words.

The fog of sleep slowly abated, and my mother's face melted into darkness. I shifted, the silk sheets sliding between my sore thighs. Opening my eyes, I was greeted with the face of an Oni. A creature of Japanese myth, its wide eyes gave off a disturbing look. It was one of the plethora of tattoos decorating Arold's back. I could feel the brush of warm breath across my shoulder, and the heavy weight of the arm resting on my waist.