"After seven long years, Barbara Gordon has officially been declared dead," Vicki continued. "Gordon, who was the daughter of former police commissioner James Gordon, went missing back in 1982 after a devastating fire at the Gotham Superior Courthouse. Though most bodies were recovered, Gordon's was not, and the case was officially closed today. GCN reached out to the former police commissioner, but received no comment."

Why would he? What left was there to say that hadn't been said already?

But more than that, he saw through these hungry vultures who were always on the hunt for a new way to humiliate him. These people had ruined his reputation, his career by painting him out as the grief-stricken, barely functioning father obsessed with his missing daughter.

But by what right did they have to judge him? Had any of them lost their daughters?

Yes, he had spent every moment outside of work trying to find her. Spent every penny he owned too. On search teams, on posters, on anything that might help him find his little girl.

He talked to anyone who would listen. Did interview after interview, never once tired of repeating the same thing over and over again if it led to something.

It never led to anything. It was like Barbara had vanished into thin air.

A beaming smile quickly replaced the grim expression on Vicki's face as she flipped through the stack of papers in hand.

"Earlier today, Richard Wayne officially opened the One Gotham housing projects as part of his affordable housing program for the city. Construction started back last year and was met with overwhelming support. Mr. Wayne initially launched this program, hoping it would help families living beneath the poverty level."

The screen switched and Vicki was replaced by the tall, unbelievably handsome Richard Wayne. Eyes as blue as the ocean and hair as dark as the night, he was the spitting image of his father. Even after all these years, it still boggled James's mind that they weren't related in any way.

"Gotham has been my home for several years. But for many people, it has not. For the estimated thirty thousand homeless people and even more living beneath the poverty line, Gotham has not been their home." He glanced around at the crowd gathered in front of him, making eye contact with seemingly everyone. For a second, James even thought he was staring at him, somehow finding his gaze through the screen. He had that effect on people, making them feel like he was directly talking to them. It was the same effect Bruce used to have.

"I believe this new housing complex will finally provide the home so many of these people could only dream of." He offered up a bright grin to the crowd, one that instantly earned him a round of applause. "In my time of need, it was Bruce, my adoptive father, who did the same for me. I hope this program will honor his memory and the legacy he left behind in this city."

The crowd erupted into cheers as Richard was handed a pair of scissors to cut the blue ribbon draped across the building.

Bruce would be proud of him. Though he had started various charities and funded many social programs, it was Richard who ensured their survival, going so far as to increase their numbers and funding.

It was hard to believe this was the same hormonal boy he had kicked out of his house all those years ago.

A sad smile came to James's face at the thought. At least Richard got to grow old and have a future, something his Barbara might never have.

He hoped if Barbara was still out there in the world that she was at least happy. As much as it might pang him, he would rather it be she left on her own accord and just didn't want to be found. At least he could understand that, could live with it.