Lululemon Murder part 2

Start from the beginning

The day before the murder Jayna called Rachel to tell her she suspected Brittany of stealing a pair of leggings. Now, Lululemon has a policy where before an employee leaves their bags must be checked by another co worker. So Rachel told Jayna to make sure someone checks Brittany's bag before she leaves. When Jayna asked Brittany for her bag Brittany told her that another employee checked it. Jayna went to talk to the employee but she said she never checked her bag.

By this time the forensics came back for the car. They found a lot of Brittany and Jayna's blood, which they expected. But they found something they didn't expect to find. They found a hat with blood in it that matched Brittany, as if she had been wearing it in the car.

Police brought Brittany back in for questioning. They asked her about where Jayna parked her again, which she gave the same answer as before, that she parked it right outside the door. They asked her to describe Jayna's car, to which Brittany told then she couldn't. They asked about the zip ties, to which she told them they got them out of their bags. They told her that the zip ties came from inside the store to which she told them it was possible because it was all just a blur for her. She then left the station.

Let's talk about Brittany's injuries again. Brittany had 2 non-superficial wounds. One was on her forehead and the other was between her thumb and index finger.

They brought in a specialist who determined that the injury on her hand is consistent with holding the handle but your hand sliding down onto the blade, meaning Brittany was holding a knife at some point. They also found out that the wound on her head could have been self inflicted as well.

After reviewing the evidence, Detrctive Rueben told everyone that he no longer believed there was anyone else in the store that night. He believed Brittany murdered Jayna.

His theory got stronger when Brittany's rape kit came back negative.

They brought in another specialist who told them that if a person is to zip tie their own hands they would have to use their teeth to tighten them. This means there will be dents in the zip tie. When looking at Brittany's zip ties that were around her hands, they did in fact have these dents.

They looked over the crime scene photos again. They realized that the amount of blood around Brittany did not match her wounds. With the amount of blood in the room, Brittany's injuries should have been worse. They also realize that the blood wasn't really a pool of blood like you would expect, but rather smears of blood. After some testing they found out that much of the blood found by Brittany was actually Jayna's blood.

The angle of Brittany's wound were also inconsistent with someone stabbing someone else. It wasn't a natural angle for an attacker. It was, however, consistent with someone stabbing themselves.

Before they could bring Brittany back in, Brittany herself walked into the station. She told the police that she remembered something she previously forgot about.

She told them that the two men forced her to go through Jayna's belongings, find her car keys and told her to drive the car somewhere else. Only they told her to do it alone. The men didn't go with her.

They told her to walk back to the store and if she tried to run or get help that they would find her and kill her.

She told the police she drove 2 or 3 blocks away, parked the car and walked back to the store. She even said she saw a police officer on her way back but didn't stop.

Police had enough of her stories and confronted her with the evidence they had. After they finished, in a very timid voice, Brittany asked "can I go home now?"

In reality, she could have left. They didn't have enough evidence to arrest her, so she was free to leave. However, police have a tactic for when they want people to stay. They tell them they will take a break, leave the suspect alone in the room, and when they return they will start asking a set of different questions to save time until they can arrest them.

In this case, they took the break in order to get Brittany's sister and brother. When they returned they brought them in the room as well. They started reading all the evidence against Brittany again, but in front of her siblings hoping that seeing their emotional reactions would get Brittany to confess. Hearing what she had done, Brittany's sister ran out of the room, not able to listen anymore. The police left the room to check on the sister, leaving Brittany and her brother in the room alone.

Her brother asked her if she did it, but Brittany denied it. He continued to ask and she eventually replied, "I dont want to talk about it here"

On March 18th, Brittany Norwood was arrested.

Although she got a lawyer for herself, even he could see that there was no possible way to convince a jury that Brittany didn't do this. There was too much evidence against Brittany and there wasn't a point in even trying to say she was innocent. So instead he set up a mental illness plea. He suggested that Brittany had a mental illness that was previously undiagnosed. He said that no sane person could have committed the crime she had so therefore she must be insane.

The jury took less than an hour to come back with a verdict. They found her guilty. The judge sentenced her to life in prison without the possibility of parole.