Unsolved mysteries of each state (three)

[ONE. MASSACHUSETTS]

From 1939 to 1945, the people of Provincetown were terrorized by a being they called the "Black Flash."

The figure first appeared to a group of children - tall, dressed in black and growling ominously. In 1945, a group of policemen actually reported seeing the figure leap a 10-foot fence.

About a month later, a man threw boiling water at the figure, sending it screaming into the night. It was never seen again.

[TWO. MICHIGAN]

In 1966, a group of teens reported having seen a mysterious light above a valley in Paulding. Scientific explanations such as swamp gas have been rejected in favor of the more popular paranormal theory that the light is from the lantern belonging to local brakeman who was killed while attempting to stop an oncoming train. Michigan Tech students believe it’s a natural phenomenon caused by headlights from a nearby road.

[THREE. MINNESOTA]

In 1981, Jean Hillard’s car went off the road near Langby, and the next day, her frozen body was discovered, her eyes wide open, her flesh frozen so solid that doctors couldn’t pierce it with a hypodermic needle. Her body temperature was too low to register on a thermometer.

But when Hillard thawed, she was very much alive and made a full recovery.

[FOUR. MISSISSIPPI]

In 1942, Pascagoula was plagued by a series of peculiar home invasions: "The intruder took locks of hair from each of the people whose homes he broke into."

Although one man became a suspect, he was never formally charged and passed a lie-detector test; no one has ever figured out who the Phantom Barber really was or why he did what he did.

[FIVE. MISSOURI]

In 1969, 16-year-old Robert Rayford was hospitalized in St Louis for extreme, unintended weight loss and a host of infections. The doctors had no answers, and Rayford died.

A few years later, HIV, the virus that causes AIDS was discovered; subsequently, medical testing of Rayford’s blood revealed that he had the virus.

Somehow, Rayford, who’d never been out of the country and never had a transfusion, had died of AIDS nearly a decade before it was discovered.

[SIX. MONTANA]

Just 13 miles from Glacier National Park you can pass through a portal in which the laws of nature are set aside: A gravitational anomaly forces trees to grow sideways and makes people appear as much as six inches shorter.

A shack in the Vortex - called the House of Mystery - is the home to bizarre phenomenon: A marble rolled on an incline will travel upward, and a rope hanging from the ceiling falls in a curve.

[SEVEN. NEBRASKA]

On March 1, 1950, the 15 members of the Beatrice’s West Side Baptist Church choir were supposed to meet for practice. All of the 15 were known for their timeliness, but on this day, they were all running late - every single one of them.

The reasons varied, but not a single one was present when a natural gas leak caused the complete destruction of the church.

Why and how were every single one of the 15 spared a grisly death?

[EIGHT. NAVADA]

On April 26, 2000, 25 year old Star Palumbo was found wandering around a restricted area of the Reno-Tahoe International Airport. The police did not arrest her but rather they dropped her off at a nearby hotel.

The next day, authorities found Palumbo's car illegally parked at the airport with her cell phone, case, books on changing one's identity, and copies of emails sent to the White House claiming the federal government wanted to kill her.

Her mother spoke to her before her disappearance and stated that Star claimed she was being followed.

Star Palumbo has yet to be found.

[NINE. NEW HAMPSHIRE]

In 1980, 15-year-old Rachel Garden bought a pack of cigarettes at a market in Newton and was never seen again. The friend whom Rachel told her family she was going to be spending the night with denied having plans with Rachel that night.

There have been no suspects in the case.

[TEN. NEW JERSEY]

In 1927, Camden was terrorized by what’s been described as phantom- or ghost-sniper. Bus and car windows were shattered and even a policeman was struck, but no bullets or casings were ever found and no one ever saw an actual sniper.

One witness reported hearing a man’s laughter. But no one else saw or heard a thing. The attacks suddenly stopped in 1928.