"Janae."

"Rocky told us last week that there was a good DJ and you wanna play stupid and be like 'oh yeah?' Let's just stop right there. If I wanted you to stop talking to her I would've just told you. I just said it was weird, and I would love it if you were to respect my opinion, Quincy." I argued.

"You know what's weird?" He asked as he matched my stare, stepping closer to me. "You. Sneaking off to some college party. So let's talk about that obvious lie." I opened my mouth to respond only for him to beat me to it. "But I'm supposed to let that go, right?" He stepped away from me, pointing to himself. "And I'm playing stupid? Right."

"I explained it to you a million and one times already. It was a stupid decision obviously, but they were hyping it up and I felt pressured. Simple."

"That's bullshit, Nae. You don't do shit 'cause you feel pressured. That's just fucking stupid."

"Well, I guess I'm fucking stupid then."

"You're something alright." Wow. "Y'know what, we'll talk later." He fixed his backpack on his shoulder before turning to walk in the other direction.

I crossed my arms. "Seriously?"

He turned back to me. "Janae. I am tired of doing this with you, I really am."

"You're judging."

"Yes. For once I am." He firmly stated. "The Janae I know wouldn't go to some stupid party with people she's not even cool with like that and she sure as hell wouldn't let me stand here and call her stupid. I've been giving you the space you need to handle whatever the hell this is and come clean. But you haven't. Yet, you rather worry about some female who means nothing." He ranted. "I don't even know who you are anymore."

"Quin-"

"If it ain't some logical explanation, I don't wanna hear it." He looked at me just waiting for what he wanted to hear.

But I couldn't do it.

"That's what I thought." He nodded at my silence, walking away, leaving me too stunned to even try to get him to stop.

He'd been the main one rooting for an explanation. Seeing and knowing the best of me, he knew I was smarter than that. He believed in me. And I was just letting him down. I let him believe I was doing exactly what he didn't want me to do from the beginning, following the crowd and being like everyone else. If this whole situation was affecting somebody the most, it was him.

And in turn it was affecting us.

My back rested against the wall behind me as I looked up to the ceiling, willing myself not to cry, wishing I never said anything in the first place.

🖤

"We need to talk." Nicki spoke sternly as she approached my locker.

"About what?"

"You're a liar." She firmly insisted, pushing me into the lockers that were behind me. "And you're gonna tell me why."

I was taken aback by her aggression, instantly furrowing my brows. "What? I haven't lied about anything, Nick what-"

"Come on." She grabbed my hand, pulling me into the bathroom for privacy. "You didn't go to a party, everybody damn sure knows that."

"Nicki, stop."

"You don't go to parties without us unless it's your family. And you expect me to believe that you went with someone we have no clue about? We know the same people."

"Do I really need to explain this to you again?"

"Yeah, and tell me why Matt swears up and down him and Niecy saw Nico lurking around the block that night."

"How does what Nico does have anything to do with me?" I asked, attempting appear clueless.

"What party did you go to?" She pressed.

"A couple towns over, I don't know who was hosting it."

Nicki crossed her arms, staring me down, mentally trying to figure out how hard she could push to get some kind of truth. "Q and I stopped by to see that clown ass Jaden."

"Why would you do that?!" I demanded, outraged. "You know we all got problems!"

"Exactly why we had to stop by when we found out you weren't home. His Mama came out and was talking about she hasn't seen his brother around all night."

"What does that have to do with me?" I snapped. "Nicki, chill out. I gotta go to class."

"They try and do something to you because of his argument with Calvin? Huh?"

"Bye. I'm out." I spoke, turning around only for her to grab my arm.

"Don't lie to me. This is serious."

"And I'm serious when I tell you it's your best interest to fall back, you don't know what you're talking about."

"So if I go and talk to Jaden."

"Do not go and talk to Jaden."

"Why?!"

"Because I did what I had to do to stop all of this bullshit and I'm not about to let you go and start it all up again Nicole!" I shouted, feeling the most fed up I'd ever felt. "Fall. Back. I mean it." I snatched my arm back forcefully before walking out of the bathroom and going to my class.

Letting down the people who had the most faith in you was a tough pill to swallow.

But I cared too much to let them know the truth. We all fought for each other, harder than we might fight for our own selves. And I just knew if it was the other way around, regardless of the consequences, I would try and retaliate in my friends honor.

I couldn't have them doing that for me.

It was too dangerous of a battle.