Chapter 7: Rest and Relaxation

"From time to time, the Warrior must recharge and replenish...A warrior's heart is only as full as

his spirit is silent"

-unknown

Shaman

Shaman got up from his bunk with a long-drawn-out yawn. It was early in the morning according to the clock on the wall. Shaman rubbed the sleep from his eyes and went about his daily ritual of putting on the numerous plates that made up his armor and heading to the mess hall. As the doors wooshed open Shaman took notice of the lack of troopers in the mess hall. Luckily for him however the mess staff were up so he continued on over to the buffet. He placed his helmet onto a table before picking up a tray and getting in line.

"Can I get this to go?" Shaman asked.

"Sure, 'bit early for breakfast innit?" said the server behind the counter as he gave him a healthy serving of indescribable mush in a bowl and fished under the counter for a lid.

"You call this breakfast?" Shaman asked, looking at the mound concerned.

"It's all we got, we haven't gotten a resupply in a while so we gotta make due." the trooper explained. "So; early patrol duty?"

"Nah," Shaman shook his head. "I got something important I need to get done."

The server nodded with a shrug and handed Shaman the bowl. "Well, whatever you gotta do stay safe out there trooper."

"Will do, and I'll let you know if I hear anything about supply shipments. Shaman flashed a smile as he took the bowl and thanked the server before picking up his helmet and returning to his barracks.

Everyone else was still asleep as he entered the barracks so taking great care to be as quiet as possible he went to his locker and retrieved his backpack. He emptied out some of the less crucial medical supplies and packed a small wooden box and his bowl of mush into the backpack. He slung his backpack onto his shoulders and grabbed his DC-15, quietly closing his locker and putting on his helmet before leaving.

As he walked down the corridor he spotted Commander Cody scrolling through some kind of feed on a datapad as he came walking the opposite way.

"Commander!" Shaman called, causing Cody to look up from his datapad.

"Shaman, you're up early aren't you?" Cody asked, folding both hands behind his back.

"I like to get up early," Shaman shrugged. "Anyway do you have any word on the supply shipments?" I just came from the mess and they're down to serving sawdust gruel in there."

Cody looked concerned and thought to himself for a moment. "Really?"

Shaman took off his backpack and handed Cody the bowl.

Cody took the bowl and frowned with a hint of disgust. "Skrag."

"Skrag is right, I get that in wartime shipments tend to get disrupted and such but if this is the point we're at it won't be long till we're down to combat rations.

Cody handed Shaman back the bowl and nodded. "I'll see to it, thanks for letting me know."

"Of course Commander, I told the guys in the mess I'd try and help so here I am." Shaman nodded.

"Well I gotta get back to the command center, I'll see you around." Cody returned to his datapad, patting Shaman on the shoulder as he walked away.