why i don't watch black-lead films

hello everyone !! its me, harmony, and today ill be talking about a semi-serious topic ( dw its not as bad as the title suggests ).

basically, i absolutely ADORE teen fiction, romance, fantasy and adventure. those are my favourite genres for movies/books/shows etc. these genres really give me this sense of, idk, escapism? these are the genres where i can just completely and utterly LOSE MYSELF in the story and, with all the shit thats going on and has been going on in the world, storytelling isn't just a hobhy for me. its almost a lifestyle, if that makes sense ??

every other day, there's something tragic happening in the world. theres a murder. a war on the rise. corruption. plague. poverty. the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. its just so fucking much - its too much; espescially in regards to black people. we're killed, abused, trafficked, we go missing - terrible things happen to our brothers and sisters all the time, but we're silenced by news outlets and government. it happens so often and, not gonna lie, its a lot.

so imagine you're me, who loves to watch movies and read books as an escape, and you see a book with someone like you on the cover. or a show thats black-lead. a series thats super diverse - only to discover its about being kidnapped, or a "strong, black, woman saviour", or being saved by the morally righteous white man at the end who only had two lines etc.

everytime i've gotten excited for something black-lead, i've almost ALWAYS been disappointed because real world issues are brought into whats supposed to be a high fantasy world that is completely disconnected from ours, yet the creators thought it necessary to throw in a word that replaces negro and make some white extra say it at their black lead ??

the only black lead shows ive really watched ( that weren't low budget nollywood films LMFAO ) were black lightning and black panther - but even THEN, BL felt too real for me so I dipped. why arent there more cutesy, coming-of-age, indie movies starring black people ?? or cheesy early 2000s rom-coms with black people ?? or high-fantasy, butt-kicking, adventure noveld with black people ??

why is it that 95% of the time a black-lead piece of media hits the mainstream, its ALWAYS about slavery, discrimination, injustice, prejudice etc. why cant it ever just be this super fucking cool sci-fi video game that happens to have an all black cast ?? why does the media LOVE to see us suffer and struggle ?? to help ease their white guilt ?? to reignite their black lives matter allyship since they're suffering from ally fatigue ?? WHY DO THESE STRUGGLE-PORN FILMS OF BLACK PEOPLE WITH WHITE SAVIOURS STILL EXIST ???

this is why i rarely ever watch black-lead films and its why im so turned off at even the mere mention of them. i always have this pre-conceived notion that any black piece of media is gonna be a white man's supremely bad and insensitive interpretation of a cringy Tyler Perry movie. and i hate that.

pls drop some good, diverse, shows/books/movies where black people r shown in a positive light. thanks.

- mo.