Nothing but void.

Suddenly dizzy, I lose my balance and fall toward the ground, but the scene changes again before I can fall completely.

Why does this stupid test keep changing on me?

Now I'm in a small room with no doors or windows. There isn't a clear source of light; the room itself seems to glow. Nothing happens.

I look all around me. I'm not afraid of small rooms, nor isolation - it gives me peace. The fact that there's no visible way of getting out doesn't bother me because no one else can come in either, which means no unnecessary socializing.

Perfect.

I nod to myself, satisfied, and prepare to take a nap.

... then the ceiling collapses.

In comes water - buckets and buckets of water pouring down, slowly filling up the room around me. It's like I'm in a room under a swimming pool and the bottom of the swimming pool broke.

The water rises frighteningly fast and I start to panic. I could deal with being in a little room all by myself, but if my life is immediately on the line I'd rather get out.

I look upwards at the source of water. Something about this ridiculous situation reminds me of a test in Divergent, so I think about breaking the walls open. After one look at the solid walls though, I figure it's not worth trying (who knows how strong those walls could be) so I decide to try and swim up the mini waterfall.

Probably not the best idea, but it's the best one I can come up with in the spur of the moment.

I prepare myself, take a deep breath, and plunge myself into the waterfall. I pause for a few seconds to let my eyes adjust and then look upwards at the never-ending water source. 

In the distance, I catch a glimpse of light. Hope rises inside me.

I need to blast off the ground somehow...

Following instincts I've never been aware of before, I raise my right arm up and keep my left arm down at my side, putting myself in a fashionable superhero pose. Then I jump off the water somehow and a mini explosion of energy flows through me, causing me to be shot off into the water.

While I'm floating around in the liquid, out of the original room, my surroundings change once again. This time it takes a while, like it's searching for a new test to place me in.

I'm confused. But now I feel the energy flowing through me.

My fingers grasp onto the golden threads of sound (how cool is that?), intertwining like veins on my hands, and I stare at them in disbelief as I hear a faint song play in the distance.

"Enemy enemy enemy!"

It's a song that I've never heard of, but its familiarity was undeniable.

"Energy energy energy!"

Slowly but surely, I'm placed back into the white room. It's the room that I was in right before the ceiling collapsed and before I'd blasted off into the mini waterfall.

There are no signs that water ever existed.

My eyes fall upon a new color: black. There are five black boxes set on a white table.

The room is dead silent. The song from earlier remains very much alive inside me.

I look at the five boxes. Am I supposed to choose one? Probably. But which one do I choose?

What if I just don't choose? What would happen then?

I look at the first one. A sound reaches my ears, gently overlapping the background song that continues to play. It's the sound of waves crashing against the ocean.

Water.

Ah... so I should be choosing the box I feel more connected to. But is it cheating if I already know what's in each box beforehand?

The second one, after a quick listen, is fire.

The third one sounds like some weird cobblestone avalanche. Probably earth.

The next one is wind - wind blowing through the leaves of trees.

And the last one is silent. Empty space.

I continue to stand there like an idiot. Am I supposed to pick one? I look down at my hands again for help, but the golden threads are nowhere to be found. I don't feel an inclination to walk toward any box or do anything. Could the school expel me for cheating because I already know all the answers?

Surely I can't just... choose one. That's not how it works.

The test is supposed to figure out our natural elemental. We shouldn't get to choose.

So I stand there and do nothing. I don't choose a box.

This is so stupid.

The room, almost reluctantly, starts shifting one more time.

Somehow I know it's the last time.

The music inside of me abruptly stops. The power I felt in my fingers go away. The pain of silence hits me like a brick truck (if trucks could be made out of bricks) and soon after, the walls around me start closing in.

I have a bad feeling that there's no way to stop it.

~

A/N: I've decided that the official uploading schedule will be on Mondays and Thursdays!

Monday because it's generally people's least favorite day of the week (so I'd like to try to make it better) and Thursday because I'm too impatient to wait for Friday 🥳

See you all on Monday :D

On The Run || JJK ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें